POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Power : Re: Power Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:16:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Power
From: Chambers
Date: 1 Sep 2007 15:30:46
Message: <46d9bde6$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v3 wrote:
> I haven't tested out the TV yet, but of all the stuff I have tested, it
> seems that any device that performs any kind of *heating* instantly uses
> many times more power than anything else.

It's amazing how much potential there is in even a small amount of heat,
isn't it?

By the way, while heating so far beats all other estimates, IIRC cooling
requires even *more* juice for the same amount of temperature change.
Of course, I don't know if your air conditioner will suck in as much
heat as your kettle puts out, but AC is probably the greatest drain on
the power grid pretty much anywhere in the world.

> Also, I notice that my PC uses about 10x as much power as my laptop.
> There are two possible explanations for this:
>
> 1. My PC is (or recently was) leading edge, whereas my laptop was pretty
> much old hat even when it was purchased.
>
> 2. It's a laptop. It's designed to use less power.

Both.

> PS. We have *another* Intel Core 2 Duo laptop at work. And just like the
> first one, it seems to be utterly impossible to make it heat up, no
> matter how much number chrunching I throw at it. How do they manage that?

Several ways, one of which being that it slows itself down if it gets
too hot :)

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com