POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Power Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:20:48 EDT (-0400)
  Power (Message 31 to 40 of 133)
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Subject: Re: Power
Date: 2 Sep 2007 18:03:38
Message: <op.tx1rkc0ucs6ysw@e6600>
On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 22:05:17 +0200, Orchid XP v3 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>>> PS. 230 V? I thought it was 250 V...
>>  IIRC the spec was changed from 240 +/- 10% to 230 +15% -5% (or
>> something equally stupid) to get us inline with Europe.  Doesn't your
>> meter tell you the voltage too?
>
> The mater claims 249.98 V.

Still within tolerance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity#Voltage_levels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity#Frequency_stability
http://www.dynamicdemand.co.uk/grid.htm

--
FE

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 2 Sep 2007 22:48:49
Message: <46db7611@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v3 wrote:
>>> Can anybody suggest why this might be?
>>

>> It's because heat represents a huge amount of energy.
>>
>> For instance, the humble calorie, the amount of energy required to
>> raise a single gram of water by one degree celsius, is the same amount
>> of energy required to lift that same gram of water about 387 meters in
>> Earth's gravity, or accelerate it from zero to 87 meters per second.
>
> Damn... pitty we can't use heat to do *useful* stuff!

Heat already does useful things.  For instance, it causes cute girls to
wear skimpy clothing.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Sep 2007 23:42:17
Message: <46db8299$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 20:58:04 +0100, Orchid XP v3 wrote:

>  I really, *really* hope I have that
> disabled though... (It's hard to tell!)

BIOS settings.  But it's not exactly easy to learn the wake-up code from
outside a NATted connection.  You've got to know the MAC address of the
system, IIRC.

Yep, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN the magic
packet is set over a connectionless protocol (UDP, IPX) with "FF FF FF FF
FF FF FF" (in hex, hopefully obviously) plus 16 repetitions of the target
machine's MAC address, plus a 4-6 byte password.

So I don't think you have to worry about me turning your machine on from
half a world away.

Jim

Post a reply to this message