POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Power : Re: Power Server Time
11 Oct 2024 23:11:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Power
From: scott
Date: 3 Sep 2007 03:04:20
Message: <46dbb1f4$1@news.povray.org>
> Oh... no, not really. I mean, sound vibrations are really, *really* tiny.
> (Think about it; even when the sound is turned up painfully loud, the
> speaker cones move by such a tiny amount you can't even see them move at
> all!)

Huh?  Even at normal listening volumes I can see the bass cones move on
mine...  Try feeding a 20 Hz sine wave in and watch the cone...  These are
only perhaps 6" drivers, nothing spectacular.  Mind you, I have never
noticed the tiny 2" cones move on my PC speakers.

> AFAIK, the reason we have 200 W amplifiers and speakers isn't so much
> because it takes that much electricity to move air around, but to reduce
> RF pickup in the speaker wire... (Or rather, to reduce the *signifigance*
> of such pickup.)

Huh?  You are saying that they deliberately make speakers less efficient so
that a higher voltage can be used to drive them?  I've never heard that
before.  Also I have never seen much "serious" hi-fi rated at anything like
200 W for home use.  IME 15 W per channel is plenty to fill a medium sized
room very loudly, perhaps if you live in a very large house and like
listening to music very loud you'd want 200 W.

> The mater claims 249.98 V.

Sounds ok to me, the voltage will fluctuate a lot depending on lots of
factors, like how much power people are using around you etc.  Try measuring
the voltage at different times of the day...

> Also, 49.97 Hz. (So much for "they keep it to exactly 50 Hz to help all
> those clocks that use it". The frequency waivers all over the place!)

And you think your meter is accurate to +/- 0.03 Hz?  It's worth noting that
the national grid in the UK keeps all power stations interconnected so all
generators *must* make power at the same frequency.  If everyone in the
country turned on their kettles then the frequency and voltage would
probably drop significantly...