POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Power : Re: Power Server Time
11 Oct 2024 23:09:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Power
From: scott
Date: 3 Sep 2007 02:45:39
Message: <46dbad93$1@news.povray.org>
>> Yes, but 4 W!!!!  4 mW should be enough.
>
> Perhaps, depends on what other features the kit has, though.

How about running an LCD panel, transmitting and receiving data from a
base-station 10s of miles away, interpreting incoming data packets, waiting
for key presses?  All for 10 mW.

> I know, for example, that the system I have here at my feet has an ATX
> board, which means the "power" switch is solid state rather than a
> physical switch.  That means the board is powered all the time (when the
> power supply switch is on at the back of the system).

The main point is that mainboard and PSU makers have no incentive to make a
low power and efficient "off" state.  Really, such a small fraction of
people/companies will make a decision based on the efficiency of the off
state it is not worth it at all.