POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : transparent backlit colored gels Server Time
28 Jun 2024 06:38:02 EDT (-0400)
  transparent backlit colored gels (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: George White
Subject: transparent backlit colored gels
Date: 21 Nov 2011 00:30:00
Message: <web.4ec9e15f2d98a05646dfc3530@news.povray.org>
I have overlapping blue and yellow transparent "gels". With one blue and the
other yellow I was expecting the overlapped region, when back-lit, to look green
from the front. Instead it is brownish color. I seem to have a reason to use
POV-Ray once every two years or so for the last 6 years but have not used media
or photons before. I made a simplified file that illustrates my scene issue.

I'd appreciate any help in getting two transparent colored gels to work. thanks

--George
_____________________
#include "colors.inc"
#include "textures.inc"
#include "shapes.inc"
#include "metals.inc"
#include "skies.inc"

//++++++++++++++++++++

camera {
   location <0, 1, -5>
   look_at <.5,.5,0>
}

//++++++++++++++++++

light_source {< 0, 10, 10> color White }  //back

//light_source {< 0, 10,-10> color White  }  //front

//++++++++++++++++++
sky_sphere {
    pigment {
      gradient y
      color_map {
        [ .4  color <.9,.9,.9>  ]
     }
      scale 1000
     translate -1
    }
  }

//++++++++++++++++++++++
//wall with opening

#declare wind_width = 3;
#declare wind_height =3;
#declare wind_depth = 1;

#declare wall =box {
                        <-200,-200,wind_depth/3>
                        <200,200,-wind_depth/3> };

#declare window_opening = box {<-5,-.5,wind_depth/2>
<wind_width-.5,wind_height, -wind_depth/2>}

#declare wall      = difference {

                      object {wall pigment {Cherry_Wood}}
                      object {window_opening }
                        }
wall

//+++++++++++++++++++++++
#declare color_filter_blue      =
texture {
    pigment { rgbf <0,0,1,.9> }
    finish {
        ambient 0
        diffuse 0
        reflection 0.5

    }
}

#declare color_filter_yellow =

texture {
    pigment { rgbf <1,1,0,.9> }
    finish {
        ambient 0
        diffuse 0
        reflection 0.5
    }
}

//++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
     #declare Blue_gel =

                        box {<0, 0,0 >  <1, 1,-.01 >
                        texture {color_filter_blue}
                          interior {
                                 media {
                                        absorption  Blue
                                       }

                                    }
                        photons{
                                target
                                reflection on
                                refraction on
                                }

                             }

      #declare Yellow_gel =
                        box {<0, 0,0 >  <1, 1,-.01 >
                        texture {color_filter_yellow}
                          interior {
                                 media {
                                        absorption  Blue
                                       }

                                    }
                        photons{
                                target
                                reflection on
                                refraction on
                                }

                        translate <.5,.5, -.5>}

Blue_gel
Yellow_gel

Post a reply to this message

Am 21.11.2011 06:27, schrieb George White:
> I have overlapping blue and yellow transparent "gels". With one blue and the
> other yellow I was expecting the overlapped region, when back-lit, to look green
> from the front. Instead it is brownish color. I seem to have a reason to use
> POV-Ray once every two years or so for the last 6 years but have not used media
> or photons before. I made a simplified file that illustrates my scene issue.
>
> I'd appreciate any help in getting two transparent colored gels to work. thanks

Is that your complete scene? Because when I render it I don't see
anything brownish where the two gels overlap.

Try giving the blue gel a slightly green-ish hue, say rgbf <0,0.2,1,.9>,
otherwise the combination of the two filters will let no light through
at all (<0,0,1>*<1,1,0> = <0,0,0>).

Post a reply to this message

> Is that your complete scene? Because when I render it I don't see
> anything brownish where the two gels overlap.
>

> Try giving the blue gel a slightly green-ish hue, say rgbf <0,0.2,1,.9>,
> otherwise the combination of the two filters will let no light through
> at all (<0,0,1>*<1,1,0> = <0,0,0>).

The boxes should be *hollow* in order for the media to show. Also, if
you want the media to show the gel's colour, do this, and switch off the
photons and the absorbtion for the time being. I think the brownish
colour comes from the way the light is treated in RL and in POV-Ray:
additive versus substractive?

      #declare Blue_gel =

                         box {<0, 0,0 >  <1, 1, -.01 > hollow
                         texture {pigment {rgbt 1}}