POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Internal surface visible with Merge Server Time
2 Jul 2024 11:56:45 EDT (-0400)
  Internal surface visible with Merge (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Der Minimalist
Subject: Internal surface visible with Merge
Date: 30 Oct 2010 05:20:00
Message: <web.4ccbe1f15b909b70fec5f1b80@news.povray.org>
Hi guys,

I hope you can help me out with the following.

I'm trying to make a glass flask and, despite using merge, I'm having problems
with visible internal surfaces. I use an image_map to get some text on the flask
and to prevent it from showing up on both sides I cut the flask in half and join
it with another half that doesn't have the image map.

However, when you join these two, with a small overlap so that the surfaces
don't coincide, you can clearly see where both halves have joined by a slightly
darker internal surface.

I have included a simple overlap of two transparent spheres below to show you
what I mean. I reckon there is a simple solution to this, but I wasn't able to
find it on the internet..

#include "colors.inc"
#include "textures.inc"

camera { location <10, 1, 4>      //location <7, 10, -10>

look_at <0,1,0> angle 60   //look_at <1,0,2> angle 67
translate x*-2
translate z*-2
}

/*old settings camera:
{ location <6, 15, -10>

look_at <-1.6,0,-0.3> angle 70
translate x*-2
translate z*-2
} */

         //<-4.5,-1.37,-11>

light_source {
        <0,15,0>
        color rgb <.8, .7, .6>*4.6
fade_distance 6 fade_power 1.2
  area_light x*3, y*3, 12, 12 circular orient adaptive 0

}

//Appearance plane---------------------------------------------------
#declare Surface =
texture {
pigment { rgb <0.15,0.15,0.15> }     //pigment { rgb <.7,.95,1> }
  finish { specular .5 reflection .2 }}

//plane-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
plane
{ y, -1.4
  texture {Surface}
}

plane
{ y, 160
  texture {Surface}
}

//Material glass------------------------------------------------------------
#declare myGlass = material{
                   texture { pigment{ color rgbt<1,1,1,0.95>}
                             finish {

                                      specular .8
                                      roughness .001
                                      conserve_energy

                                    }
                  } // end of texture
                        interior{ ior 1.03
                                  caustics 0.25
                                } // end of interior
}

//2 overlapping spehres-----------------------------------------------
merge {sphere {<0,0,0> 1.5

material {myGlass}}

sphere {<0,0,0> 1.5

material {myGlass}
rotate y*30
translate <0,0,0.2>}
}

Post a reply to this message

Am 30.10.2010 11:14, schrieb Der_Minimalist:
> Hi guys,
>
> I hope you can help me out with the following.
>
> I'm trying to make a glass flask and, despite using merge, I'm having problems
> with visible internal surfaces. I use an image_map to get some text on the flask
> and to prevent it from showing up on both sides I cut the flask in half and join
> it with another half that doesn't have the image map.
>
> However, when you join these two, with a small overlap so that the surfaces
> don't coincide, you can clearly see where both halves have joined by a slightly
> darker internal surface.
>
> I have included a simple overlap of two transparent spheres below to show you
> what I mean. I reckon there is a simple solution to this, but I wasn't able to
> find it on the internet..

It is rather difficult to judge from the sample scene you provided, as
the effect might just as well be an optical effect of the "kink" in the
CSG object's surface.

But the same effect can be seen with two cylinders joined end-to-end,
too, so there /is/ something fishy there.

Post a reply to this message