POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Internal surface visible with Merge : Internal surface visible with Merge Server Time
4 Jul 2024 15:17:02 EDT (-0400)
  Internal surface visible with Merge
From: Der Minimalist
Date: 30 Oct 2010 05:20:00
Message: <web.4ccbe1f15b909b70fec5f1b80@news.povray.org>
Hi guys,

I hope you can help me out with the following.

I'm trying to make a glass flask and, despite using merge, I'm having problems
with visible internal surfaces. I use an image_map to get some text on the flask
and to prevent it from showing up on both sides I cut the flask in half and join
it with another half that doesn't have the image map.

However, when you join these two, with a small overlap so that the surfaces
don't coincide, you can clearly see where both halves have joined by a slightly
darker internal surface.

I have included a simple overlap of two transparent spheres below to show you
what I mean. I reckon there is a simple solution to this, but I wasn't able to
find it on the internet..

#include "colors.inc"
#include "textures.inc"

camera { location <10, 1, 4>      //location <7, 10, -10>

look_at <0,1,0> angle 60   //look_at <1,0,2> angle 67
translate x*-2
translate z*-2
}

/*old settings camera:
{ location <6, 15, -10>

look_at <-1.6,0,-0.3> angle 70
translate x*-2
translate z*-2
} */

         //<-4.5,-1.37,-11>

light_source {
        <0,15,0>
        color rgb <.8, .7, .6>*4.6
fade_distance 6 fade_power 1.2
  area_light x*3, y*3, 12, 12 circular orient adaptive 0

}

//Appearance plane---------------------------------------------------
#declare Surface =
texture {
pigment { rgb <0.15,0.15,0.15> }     //pigment { rgb <.7,.95,1> }
  finish { specular .5 reflection .2 }}

//plane-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
plane
{ y, -1.4
  texture {Surface}
}

plane
{ y, 160
  texture {Surface}
}

//Material glass------------------------------------------------------------
#declare myGlass = material{
                   texture { pigment{ color rgbt<1,1,1,0.95>}
                             finish {

                                      specular .8
                                      roughness .001
                                      conserve_energy