POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : X-Ray Simulation Server Time
2 Jul 2024 11:30:55 EDT (-0400)
  X-Ray Simulation (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Alan
Subject: X-Ray Simulation
Date: 14 Oct 2010 15:30:01
Message: <web.4cb75a116e48456870815b070@news.povray.org>
I am attempting to simulate an x-ray using the material light attenuation
ability in POV-Ray. Unforutunatly I am getting an odd "aurora" around parts that
are intersecting one another, like this experiment:

http://img844.imageshack.us/i/22952805.png/

I want it to look more like this (one part is located behind the other instead
of intersecting):

http://img291.imageshack.us/i/99583176.png/

This intersection is unavoidible as my final images require hardware to be
placed inside of bones.  The models are all CAD models imported into POV-Ray
using Rhino. I was wondering if anyone had any solutions or suggestions for my
"aurora" issue.

Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

> I am attempting to simulate an x-ray using the material light attenuation
> ability in POV-Ray. Unforutunatly I am getting an odd "aurora" around parts that
> are intersecting one another, like this experiment:

  I don't know if it's the reason, but I wonder if increasing max_trace_level
would fix the problem.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> I am attempting to simulate an x-ray using the material light attenuation
> ability in POV-Ray. Unforutunatly I am getting an odd "aurora" around parts that
> are intersecting one another, like this experiment:
>
> http://img844.imageshack.us/i/22952805.png/
>
> I want it to look more like this (one part is located behind the other instead
> of intersecting):
>
> http://img291.imageshack.us/i/99583176.png/
>
> This intersection is unavoidible as my final images require hardware to be
> placed inside of bones.  The models are all CAD models imported into POV-Ray
> using Rhino. I was wondering if anyone had any solutions or suggestions for my
> "aurora" issue.
>
> Thanks.

Try shifting one object by a small value, like 0.0001 unit. You may have
some coincident surfaces and the small shifting will separate those. You
may instead need to scale one object up or down by a small value like
1.000001 or 0.999999.

As warp daid, try increasing max_trace_level.

You can also try scaling everything up by, say, a factor of 10 (model in
mm instead of cm).

Try using a merge to remove internal surfaces, where that's acceptable.
I suspect that it may not always be acceptable in your case, you
possibly need those surfaces. But try it anyway for the various parts of
a single object.

Alain

Post a reply to this message