POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : X-Ray Simulation : Re: X-Ray Simulation Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:45:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: X-Ray Simulation
From: Alain
Date: 14 Oct 2010 19:57:35
Message: <4cb798ef$1@news.povray.org>

> I am attempting to simulate an x-ray using the material light attenuation
> ability in POV-Ray. Unforutunatly I am getting an odd "aurora" around parts that
> are intersecting one another, like this experiment:
>
> http://img844.imageshack.us/i/22952805.png/
>
> I want it to look more like this (one part is located behind the other instead
> of intersecting):
>
> http://img291.imageshack.us/i/99583176.png/
>
> This intersection is unavoidible as my final images require hardware to be
> placed inside of bones.  The models are all CAD models imported into POV-Ray
> using Rhino. I was wondering if anyone had any solutions or suggestions for my
> "aurora" issue.
>
> Thanks.

Try shifting one object by a small value, like 0.0001 unit. You may have
some coincident surfaces and the small shifting will separate those. You
may instead need to scale one object up or down by a small value like
1.000001 or 0.999999.

As warp daid, try increasing max_trace_level.

You can also try scaling everything up by, say, a factor of 10 (model in
mm instead of cm).

Try using a merge to remove internal surfaces, where that's acceptable.
I suspect that it may not always be acceptable in your case, you
possibly need those surfaces. But try it anyway for the various parts of
a single object.

Alain