POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Object without ligth influence Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:29:47 EDT (-0400)
  Object without ligth influence (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Micheus
Subject: Object without ligth influence
Date: 9 Jun 2009 21:20:00
Message: <web.4a2f0a003360bd2a75f7f8dc0@news.povray.org>
Is there any way to make object color be influenced only by the ambient color?

I have tried to use light_group but the target object goes to dark.

tks

Post a reply to this message

From: Reactor
Subject: Re: Object without ligth influence
Date: 9 Jun 2009 22:55:00
Message: <web.4a2f1fe227d874bda6f47e80@news.povray.org>
"Micheus" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Is there any way to make object color be influenced only by the ambient color?
>
> I have tried to use light_group but the target object goes to dark.
>
> tks

The 'diffuse' keyword controls the object's response to the light shined on to
it.  If you set the diffuse component of the finish to zero, the object's
lighting is control only by the ambient light.

-Reactor

Post a reply to this message

> Is there any way to make object color be influenced only by the ambient color?
>
> I have tried to use light_group but the target object goes to dark.

Try "finish { ambient 1 diffuse 0 specular 0 }". No "light_group" required. That
should do exactly what you're asking for (although I'm not sure whether it also
does what you really want).

Post a reply to this message

> Try "finish { ambient 1 diffuse 0 specular 0 }". No "light_group" required. That
> should do exactly what you're asking for (although I'm not sure whether it also
> does what you really want).

Thank you guys. You are right!

My mistake was keep setting ambient_light to zero in the global_settings.

At first, I was using ambient_light (global_settings) black and ambient (finish)
in the texture "white". By this way I needed to setup the diffuse (finish) to 1
in order to see anything, but the image was light influenced.

Post a reply to this message

>> Try "finish { ambient 1 diffuse 0 specular 0 }". No "light_group" required. That
>> should do exactly what you're asking for (although I'm not sure whether it also
>> does what you really want).
>
> Thank you guys. You are right!
>
> My mistake was keep setting ambient_light to zero in the global_settings.
>
> At first, I was using ambient_light (global_settings) black and ambient (finish)
> in the texture "white". By this way I needed to setup the diffuse (finish) to 1
> in order to see anything, but the image was light influenced.

By using ambient_light 0, you effectively suppress ALL ambient in all
finishes.

The porpose of that setting is to provide a way to tint the ambient of
all finishes in a scene. The final ambient of a finish is calculated as
ambient * ambient_lights