POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Dealing with colours Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:26:27 EDT (-0400)
  Dealing with colours (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: ChaoZ
Subject: Dealing with colours
Date: 14 Mar 2006 17:20:00
Message: <web.44174154bedb9510f039f4f00@news.povray.org>
As much as I try, I find it so difficult to deal with RGB colors in a 0 to 1
scale. When it comes with dealing with colour maps (such as those used to
create a sky for example) my confusion is compounded.

For example, what does this

0.50 rgb <0.1, 0.2, 1>*0.9

mean? It is used within a color map statement, so I assume a portion of the
map will have that colour.

I have read the POV-Ray manual and I am no clearer. Are there tools out
there to help determine the RGB values? Perhaps there is something within
POV-Ray itself that I have overlooked?

Post a reply to this message

> As much as I try, I find it so difficult to deal with RGB colors in a 0 to
1
> scale. When it comes with dealing with colour maps (such as those used to
> create a sky for example) my confusion is compounded.
>
> For example, what does this
>
> 0.50 rgb <0.1, 0.2, 1>*0.9
>
> mean? It is used within a color map statement, so I assume a portion of
the
> map will have that colour.
>
> I have read the POV-Ray manual and I am no clearer. Are there tools out
> there to help determine the RGB values? Perhaps there is something within
> POV-Ray itself that I have overlooked?

You are correct, the 0.50 does tell you that part of the map will have this
color.

If it's really the 0..1 scale that you don't like, you can use anything as
an upper bound really and then divide the vector by that number. <124, 255,
40>/255

But if visualizing what color this will make is the problem, you could use
something like the GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/) which has a color picker that
displays the RGB componants. There are other standalone tools as well.
Someone in these groups has developed a tool called POVColor that might be
usefull: http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/povcolor

-r

Post a reply to this message

> As much as I try, I find it so difficult to deal with RGB colors in a 0 to 1
> scale. When it comes with dealing with colour maps (such as those used to
> create a sky for example) my confusion is compounded.
>
> For example, what does this
>
> 0.50 rgb <0.1, 0.2, 1>*0.9
>
> mean? It is used within a color map statement, so I assume a portion of the
> map will have that colour.
>
> I have read the POV-Ray manual and I am no clearer. Are there tools out
> there to help determine the RGB values? Perhaps there is something within
> POV-Ray itself that I have overlooked?

At the end of colors.inc (in the include folder in the POV-Ray main folder)
there are some macros that convert colors in different formats (HSB to RGB
etc.).