POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : draw the wire skeleton of a cube Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:22:42 EDT (-0400)
  draw the wire skeleton of a cube (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: nusuto
Subject: draw the wire skeleton of a cube
Date: 13 Feb 2006 16:55:00
Message: <web.43f0ffbb90c495c935fbaa210@news.povray.org>
Hi!

I have 2 questions...

1. I need to draw a cube, but not a solid one, I need just the skeleton of
the cube.

2. I have a surface and I would like to make it the upper face of a cube.
How can I intersect the other three faces of the cube with my surface? I
mean, when I intersect a box with a surface, I see the whole box, it
doesn't stop at the surface. How can I do that?

Can you help me, please?
Thank you very much.

Post a reply to this message

> 1. I need to draw a cube, but not a solid one, I need just the skeleton of
> the cube.

Create it using a CSG of either cylinders and spheres or thin boxes
depending on the look you want.

> 2. I have a surface and I would like to make it the upper face of a cube.
> How can I intersect the other three faces of the cube with my surface? I
> mean, when I intersect a box with a surface, I see the whole box, it
> doesn't stop at the surface. How can I do that?

What kind of surface?  The surface needs to intersect the box for this to
work and the surface to be visible.   If the surface lies above the top
face of the box, then an intersection will create only the same box, as the
second surface would lie outside the physical intersection and not have an
effect.

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

Trevor G Quayle nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 13/02/2006 17:02:
> "nusuto" <nus### [at] yahooes> wrote:
>
>>Hi!
>>
>>I have 2 questions...
>>
>>1. I need to draw a cube, but not a solid one, I need just the skeleton of
>>the cube.
>

> Create it using a CSG of either cylinders and spheres or thin boxes
> depending on the look you want.
>

>>2. I have a surface and I would like to make it the upper face of a cube.
>>How can I intersect the other three faces of the cube with my surface? I
>>mean, when I intersect a box with a surface, I see the whole box, it
>>doesn't stop at the surface. How can I do that?

Just add a thin box to fill in the face that you want to be solid.
Or, you can replace the frame elements by a thin box.

--
Alain
Scientology: If shit happens, see "Dianetics", p.157.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Williams
Date: 13 Feb 2006 22:55:10
Message: <RCqH$HAlRV8DFwl7@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it nusuto who wrote:

>2. I have a surface and I would like to make it the upper face of a cube.
>How can I intersect the other three faces of the cube with my surface? I
>mean, when I intersect a box with a surface, I see the whole box, it
>doesn't stop at the surface. How can I do that?

The hard part is trying to guess what you want. Is it possible that you
want surface clipped_by box?

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

From: Florian Brucker
Date: 14 Feb 2006 04:43:41
Message: <43f1a64d$1@news.povray.org>
>> 1. I need to draw a cube, but not a solid one, I need just the skeleton of
>> the cube.
>
> Create it using a CSG of either cylinders and spheres or thin boxes
> depending on the look you want.

There's a wireframe box already available from shapes.inc: The Wire_Box
macro probably does what you need. See

   http://povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/468/

HTH,
Florian

Post a reply to this message

From: nusuto
Date: 14 Feb 2006 08:35:00
Message: <web.43f1dc584c7ce7b86af0f9a10@news.povray.org>
Yes... that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.
Just a short question: in Wire_Box(Pta, Ptb, Radius, UseMerge), which values
can take "UseMerge"? They say only that this is to indicate if it uses merge
or not.

Thank you again! :-)

Florian Brucker <tor### [at] torfboldcom> wrote:
> >> 1. I need to draw a cube, but not a solid one, I need just the skeleton of
> >> the cube.
> >
> > Create it using a CSG of either cylinders and spheres or thin boxes
> > depending on the look you want.
>
> There's a wireframe box already available from shapes.inc: The Wire_Box
> macro probably does what you need. See
>
>    http://povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/468/
>

> HTH,
> Florian

Post a reply to this message

From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 14 Feb 2006 08:45:00
Message: <web.43f1de594c7ce7b86c4803960@news.povray.org>
"nusuto" <nus### [at] yahooes> wrote:
> Yes... that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.
> Just a short question: in Wire_Box(Pta, Ptb, Radius, UseMerge), which values
> can take "UseMerge"? They say only that this is to indicate if it uses merge
> or not.
>
> Thank you again! :-)

Merge removes the internal surfaces of CSG objects. Use merge if the wire
frame is to have a transparent texture, like glass for example, so that the
internal surfaces are not visible and the object apperas to be made of one
continuous piece of material.  If you're object is opaque, you don't need
to use merge.

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

From: nusuto
Date: 14 Feb 2006 08:50:00
Message: <web.43f1df8a4c7ce7b86af0f9a10@news.povray.org>
:-) I'm sorry, I'll try to explain it again:

I have some kind of surface (I say some kind because is not part of the
official PovRay). I would like to have a "cube" in which the upper face is
this surface.
I intersect the surface with boxes in such a way that they are the walls of
the cube (these plain boxes), but these boxes continue after the hit :-S, I
mean, I can see them higher than the surface. The perfect situation is that
these walls stop when hitting the surface.

I think is something like boxes_clipped_by_surface (the main part I want to
keep "entire" is the surface).

I hope now is more understable (in any case, sorry for my English ;-) ).

Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
> Wasn't it nusuto who wrote:
>
> >2. I have a surface and I would like to make it the upper face of a cube.
> >How can I intersect the other three faces of the cube with my surface? I
> >mean, when I intersect a box with a surface, I see the whole box, it
> >doesn't stop at the surface. How can I do that?
>
> The hard part is trying to guess what you want. Is it possible that you
> want surface clipped_by box?
>
> --
> Mike Williams
> Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris B
Date: 14 Feb 2006 09:36:00
Message: <43f1ead0$1@news.povray.org>
"nusuto" <nus### [at] yahooes> wrote in message
> :-) I'm sorry, I'll try to explain it again:
>
> I have some kind of surface (I say some kind because is not part of the
> official PovRay). I would like to have a "cube" in which the upper face is
> this surface.
> I intersect the surface with boxes in such a way that they are the walls
> of
> the cube (these plain boxes), but these boxes continue after the hit :-S,
> mean, I can see them higher than the surface. The perfect situation is
> that
> these walls stop when hitting the surface.
>
> I think is something like boxes_clipped_by_surface (the main part I want
> keep "entire" is the surface).
>
> I hope now is more understable (in any case, sorry for my English ;-) ).
>
> Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
>> Wasn't it nusuto who wrote:
>>
>> >2. I have a surface and I would like to make it the upper face of a
>> >cube.
>> >How can I intersect the other three faces of the cube with my surface? I
>> >mean, when I intersect a box with a surface, I see the whole box, it
>> >doesn't stop at the surface. How can I do that?
>>
>> The hard part is trying to guess what you want. Is it possible that you
>> want surface clipped_by box?
>>
>> --
>> Mike Williams
>> Gentleman of Leisure

Hi,

I think that to answer your question you need to specify a bit more about
this mysterious surface.
Is it possible that your surface is just a surface and has no discernable
inside or outside?
A short snippet of your code might help here.

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 14 Feb 2006 09:46:03
Message: <43f1ed2b@news.povray.org>
Trevor G Quayle <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > Just a short question: in Wire_Box(Pta, Ptb, Radius, UseMerge), which values
> > can take "UseMerge"?

  'yes', 'no' (or 'on, 'off', or 'true', 'false')

> If you're object is opaque, you don't need to use merge.

  And in fact, you should not use it because rendering becomes slower.

--
                                                          - Warp