POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Can povray be told to cache image_maps? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:30:05 EDT (-0400)
  Can povray be told to cache image_maps? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: spl
Subject: Can povray be told to cache image_maps?
Date: 23 Sep 2005 12:20:01
Message: <web.4334290c3446ee3cb279c3b00@news.povray.org>
I am rendering animations of scenes that use fairly large image_maps
(somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.2 GByte, all told).  Needless to say,
these files require a significant chunk of time to load, taking up to about
a third of the total rendering time per frame.

Is there some way to tell povray that the scene's geometry and image_maps
aren't being changed for every tick of the clock and that previously loaded
data can be used?

Post a reply to this message

> I am rendering animations of scenes that use fairly large image_maps
> (somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.2 GByte, all told).  Needless to say,
> these files require a significant chunk of time to load, taking up to about
> a third of the total rendering time per frame.
>
> Is there some way to tell povray that the scene's geometry and image_maps
> aren't being changed for every tick of the clock and that previously loaded
> data can be used?

No, but you can be completely sure that for an animation, even of
cinema-like resolution, 2.2 GB of images is unnecessary.

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 24 Jul. 2005)