POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Can povray be told to cache image_maps? : Re: Can povray be told to cache image_maps? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can povray be told to cache image_maps?
From: spl
Date: 23 Sep 2005 15:55:00
Message: <web.43345c547486dc9db279c3b00@news.povray.org>
> No, but you can be completely sure that for an animation, even of
> cinema-like resolution, 2.2 GB of images is unnecessary.

Actually, it is.  The display is a large display wall, significantly larger
than cinema resolution.  We want to be able to see single pixel detail on
the texture maps.  Figuratively, we want to see the forest, the trees, the
leaves, and the veins on the leaves.

Actually, if povray supported MIPmaps or some other form of level of detail
management, that might be useful.  I though about doing some form of tiling
of the textures but given time constraints in getting this project
rendered, I didn't think I had the time to work it out, thus the brute
force approach.

But thanks for your response.