POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : ERROR IN ISECT()?---developers lurking? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:24:01 EDT (-0400)
  ERROR IN ISECT()?---developers lurking? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: MVSmith
Subject: ERROR IN ISECT()?---developers lurking?
Date: 12 Feb 2004 13:24:44
Message: <402bc4ec$1@news.povray.org>
In an earlier posting (on 20040121), I requested info on "scanning"
unions and differences of objects to read off height-field data from the
composite structure and thence out to a text file. A day or two after this
I discovered the isect() function, which seems to do the trick.

Except....that when the vector you're using to intersect with the intended
surface strikes the junction between two objects in this composite
structure,
sometimes it shoots through the seam and intersects the surface on the
opposite
side.

Here's a test case.
Create a cube 4 units on a side, centered at the origin.
Create a sphere of radius 1, offset 2 units along the +y axis.
Create an object that is the difference between these--what you get is
a cube with a hemispherical "basin" of radius 1. The composite object
is centered on the y axis.

Now run isect() in a raster pattern from x= -2 to 2 and z = -2 to 2,
y = 3 (for example), and with a downward-pointing vector of length 6
(for example). If you iterate isect with this vector at fine enough a
resolution (say 0.001 unit) in the x and z components of the starting
point, sometimes the vector shoots through the top surface at the
junction between the cube and the hemisphere, along the edge of the
basin.

I can work around this programmatically by trapping the erroneous returns,
but thought I'd document this in case 1) a developer wanted to track this,
or
2) I missed something in generating a simple difference object or in using
isect.

--MVSmith

Post a reply to this message

> In an earlier posting (on 20040121), I requested info on "scanning"
> unions and differences of objects to read off height-field data from the
> composite structure and thence out to a text file. A day or two after this
> I discovered the isect() function, which seems to do the trick.

I don't know such a function, neither in POV-SDL syntax nor in the
POV-Ray source code.

> Except....that when the vector you're using to intersect with the intended
> surface strikes the junction between two objects in this composite
> structure,
> sometimes it shoots through the seam and intersects the surface on the
> opposite
> side.
>
> Here's a test case.
> Create a cube 4 units on a side, centered at the origin.
> Create a sphere of radius 1, offset 2 units along the +y axis.
> Create an object that is the difference between these--what you get is
> a cube with a hemispherical "basin" of radius 1. The composite object
> is centered on the y axis.
>
> [...]

It would probably be much easier if you just post a minimal test scene
to reproduce your problem.

Christoph

Last updated 11 Jan. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

Will post a test scene, probably tomorrow.

Chris

news:8cu### [at] tritonimagicode...
> MVSmith wrote:
> > In an earlier posting (on 20040121), I requested info on "scanning"
> > unions and differences of objects to read off height-field data from the
> > composite structure and thence out to a text file. A day or two after
this
> > I discovered the isect() function, which seems to do the trick.
>
> I don't know such a function, neither in POV-SDL syntax nor in the
> POV-Ray source code.
>
> > Except....that when the vector you're using to intersect with the
intended
> > surface strikes the junction between two objects in this composite
> > structure,
> > sometimes it shoots through the seam and intersects the surface on the
> > opposite
> > side.
> >
> > Here's a test case.
> > Create a cube 4 units on a side, centered at the origin.
> > Create a sphere of radius 1, offset 2 units along the +y axis.
> > Create an object that is the difference between these--what you get is
> > a cube with a hemispherical "basin" of radius 1. The composite object
> > is centered on the y axis.
> >
> > [...]
>
> It would probably be much easier if you just post a minimal test scene
> to reproduce your problem.
>
> Christoph
>
> --
> POV-Ray tutorials, include files, Sim-POV,
> HCR-Edit and more: http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/
> Last updated 11 Jan. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

"Christoph Hormann" <chr### [at] gmxde> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:8cu### [at] tritonimagicode...
> MVSmith wrote:
> > In an earlier posting (on 20040121), I requested info on "scanning"
> > unions and differences of objects to read off height-field data from the
> > composite structure and thence out to a text file. A day or two after
this
> > I discovered the isect() function, which seems to do the trick.
>
> I don't know such a function, neither in POV-SDL syntax nor in the
> POV-Ray source code.

It's a macro in shapes.inc. From the docs:

"Isect(Pt, Dir, Obj, OPt) and IsectN(Pt, Dir, Obj, OPt, ONorm)
These macros are interfaces to the trace() function. Isect() only returns
the intersection point, IsectN() returns the surface normal as well."

Regards,

Marc-Hendrik

Post a reply to this message

> Create a cube 4 units on a side, centered at the origin.
> Create a sphere of radius 1, offset 2 units along the +y axis.

Sounds like a problem with coincident surfaces...
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/46/

Post a reply to this message