POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : ERROR IN ISECT()?---developers lurking? : Re: ERROR IN ISECT()?---developers lurking? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:27:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ERROR IN ISECT()?---developers lurking?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 12 Feb 2004 17:57:39
Message: <cjameshuff-DAA06E.17580312022004@news.povray.org>
In article <402bc4ec$1@news.povray.org>, <MVSmith> wrote:

> In an earlier posting (on 20040121), I requested info on "scanning"
> unions and differences of objects to read off height-field data from the
> composite structure and thence out to a text file. A day or two after this
> I discovered the isect() function, which seems to do the trick.

I assume you are talking about the Isect() and IsectN() macros in
shapes.inc. Please be more precise in the future...functions are
something else entirely, and capitalization does matter.

> Except....that when the vector you're using to intersect with the intended
> surface strikes the junction between two objects in this composite
> structure,
> sometimes it shoots through the seam and intersects the surface on the
> opposite
> side.

This is not a problem with the Isect() macros, they are just wrappers
for the trace() function. And it is very unlikely that it is a problem
with the trace() function, which uses the same code the rest of POV
uses. It sounds more likely that it is a problem with your test object
or with your conception of what to expect. It may be precision errors,
or something wrong with the way you have things set up...

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/