POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : fn_function and other stuff Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:22:40 EDT (-0400)
  fn_function and other stuff (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Matthew Pace
Subject: fn_function and other stuff
Date: 9 Nov 2003 22:03:41
Message: <matt-pace-1AB5A2.19034009112003@netplex.aussie.org>
So as you know, I am stumbling through the isosurface qualities of POV,
when I came across a site where someone used an identifier fn_function
to make a pigment modifier (bozo in this case) apply to both a height
field and an isosurface.  Can anyone either explain this (as he didnt
really) or point me to a place which does?  He used this as a way to
make some pretty nifty landscapes, so if anyone knows of a site which
shows some isosurface landscaping tricks, that would be awesome too.
Thanks a lot, Matt

Post a reply to this message

In article <mat### [at] netplexaussieorg>,
 Matthew Pace <mat### [at] lycoscom> wrote:

> So as you know, I am stumbling through the isosurface qualities of POV,
> when I came across a site where someone used an identifier fn_function
> to make a pigment modifier (bozo in this case) apply to both a height
> field and an isosurface.  Can anyone either explain this (as he didnt
> really) or point me to a place which does?  He used this as a way to
> make some pretty nifty landscapes, so if anyone knows of a site which
> shows some isosurface landscaping tricks, that would be awesome too.

Those are simply pattern functions defined in functions.inc. As
expected, they are documented in the functions.inc documentation. You
can use the same syntax to make your own versions.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

>So as you know, I am stumbling through the isosurface qualities of POV,
>when I came across a site where someone used an identifier fn_function
>to make a pigment modifier (bozo in this case) apply to both a height
>field and an isosurface.  Can anyone either explain this (as he didnt
>really) or point me to a place which does?  He used this as a way to
>make some pretty nifty landscapes, so if anyone knows of a site which
>shows some isosurface landscaping tricks, that would be awesome too.
>Thanks a lot, Matt

There's a section in my Isosurface Tutorial that looks at the difference
between using a function to generate a heightfield and using it to
generate an isosurface.

http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/IsoTut/patterns.htm#hf

In this case I used function{ pattern{ leopard... }} but I could have
used function{f_bozo(x,0,z)}.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure