POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Problem merging two isosurfaces Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  Problem merging two isosurfaces (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Mike
Subject: Problem merging two isosurfaces
Date: 9 Oct 2008 14:05:00
Message: <web.48ee4781aaa214c0c9b9f9f00@news.povray.org>
I have been trying to create basically a cube in which the top and bottom face
is a 2D sine wave (egg crate pattern).  I have been able to do this using
isosurface, with some trouble however.  The way I found to do this was to make
one isosurface sine wave pattern contained by a box and then make another one
also contained by a box and flip it over.  My problem is that when I try to
merge the two objects I create, I have tried merge and union I always see a
middle boundary in between them.  The indicies of refraction are matched and I
am using fresnel reflection, so I do not see how or why I am seeing this.  If
anyone has any ideas on how to make this artifact go away that would be very
helpful.  I have posted the code I used to make the object below.

Thanks,
Mike

#declare MixedRegion =
material {
  texture {
     pigment {
        color rgbf<0.3, 0.5, .5,1>
      }

 finish {
        ambient 0.0
        diffuse 0.0
         reflection {
          0.0, 1.0
          fresnel on
        }
        conserve_energy
        specular 0.0
        roughness 0.0
 }
  }
  }

#declare botMixingHalf=
isosurface {
  function {
    ( y-5 + .1*sin(3*6.2832*x)*sin(3*6.2832*z))
  }
  max_gradient 4
  accuracy .0001
  contained_by { box { <-1.8999, 4.5, -1.8999>, <1.8999, 5.1, 1.8999> } }
material { MixedRegion }

     interior {
    ior 1.400
}
 photons{
             target
                refraction on
               reflection on
  }
 rotate 180*z
 translate 8*y
}

#declare topMixingHalf=
isosurface {
  function {
    ( y-4 - .1*sin(3*6.2832*x)*sin(3*6.2832*z))
  }
  max_gradient 4
  accuracy .0001
  contained_by { box { <-1.8999, 3.2, -1.8999>, <1.8999, 4.1, 1.8999> } }

material { MixedRegion }

     interior {
    ior 1.400
}
 photons{
                target
                refraction on
                reflection on
  }
}

#declare Mixingregion=
merge{object{topMixingHalf}
object{botMixingHalf}}

object{Mixingregion}

Post a reply to this message

>I have been trying to create basically a cube in which the top and bottom face
>is a 2D sine wave (egg crate pattern).  I have been able to do this using
>isosurface, with some trouble however.  The way I found to do this was to make
>one isosurface sine wave pattern contained by a box and then make another one
>also contained by a box and flip it over.  My problem is that when I try to
>merge the two objects I create, I have tried merge and union I always see a
>middle boundary in between them.  The indicies of refraction are matched and I
>am using fresnel reflection, so I do not see how or why I am seeing this.  If
>anyone has any ideas on how to make this artifact go away that would be very
>helpful.  I have posted the code I used to make the object below.

You could do this:

global_settings {max_trace_level 50}

#declare F = function {y-4.5 + .1*sin(3*6.2832*x)*sin(3*6.2832*z)}

#declare WholeThing =
isosurface {
  function { abs(F(x,y,z))-0.5}
  max_gradient 2.1
  accuracy .0001
  contained_by { box { <-1.8999, 3.9, -1.8999>, <1.8999, 5.1, 1.8999> }}
  material { MixedRegion }

  interior {
    ior 1.400
  }
  photons{
    target
    refraction on
    reflection on
  }
}

I'm getting some dark specks. I don't know if that's due to
max_trace_level, or my lighting, or if it's a real effect caused by
small reflections or refractions of shadowed areas. They don't happen
with an opaque texture, so it's not due to max_gradient or accuracy.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
> Wasn't it Mike who wrote:
> >I have been trying to create basically a cube in which the top and bottom face
> >is a 2D sine wave (egg crate pattern).  I have been able to do this using
> >isosurface, with some trouble however.  The way I found to do this was to make
> >one isosurface sine wave pattern contained by a box and then make another one
> >also contained by a box and flip it over.  My problem is that when I try to
> >merge the two objects I create, I have tried merge and union I always see a
> >middle boundary in between them.  The indicies of refraction are matched and I
> >am using fresnel reflection, so I do not see how or why I am seeing this.  If
> >anyone has any ideas on how to make this artifact go away that would be very
> >helpful.  I have posted the code I used to make the object below.
>
> You could do this:
>
> global_settings {max_trace_level 50}
>
> #declare F = function {y-4.5 + .1*sin(3*6.2832*x)*sin(3*6.2832*z)}
>
> #declare WholeThing =
> isosurface {
>   function { abs(F(x,y,z))-0.5}
>   max_gradient 2.1
>   accuracy .0001
>   contained_by { box { <-1.8999, 3.9, -1.8999>, <1.8999, 5.1, 1.8999> }}
>   material { MixedRegion }
>
>   interior {
>     ior 1.400
>   }
>   photons{
>     target
>     refraction on
>     reflection on
>   }
> }
>
> I'm getting some dark specks. I don't know if that's due to
> max_trace_level, or my lighting, or if it's a real effect caused by
> small reflections or refractions of shadowed areas. They don't happen
> with an opaque texture, so it's not due to max_gradient or accuracy.
>
> --
> Mike Williams
> Gentleman of Leisure

Yeah, This got rid of the middle layer, but mine also has the added weird
specular effect. I do not think this is real because I did not see it when I
did my way original way, just this way.

-Mike

Post a reply to this message