POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Problem merging two isosurfaces : Re: Problem merging two isosurfaces Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:30:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem merging two isosurfaces
From: Mike Williams
Date: 9 Oct 2008 15:33:30
Message: <ItxNcZC$xl7IFwwZ@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Mike who wrote:
>I have been trying to create basically a cube in which the top and bottom face
>is a 2D sine wave (egg crate pattern).  I have been able to do this using
>isosurface, with some trouble however.  The way I found to do this was to make
>one isosurface sine wave pattern contained by a box and then make another one
>also contained by a box and flip it over.  My problem is that when I try to
>merge the two objects I create, I have tried merge and union I always see a
>middle boundary in between them.  The indicies of refraction are matched and I
>am using fresnel reflection, so I do not see how or why I am seeing this.  If
>anyone has any ideas on how to make this artifact go away that would be very
>helpful.  I have posted the code I used to make the object below.

You could do this:

global_settings {max_trace_level 50}

#declare F = function {y-4.5 + .1*sin(3*6.2832*x)*sin(3*6.2832*z)}

#declare WholeThing =
isosurface {
  function { abs(F(x,y,z))-0.5}
  max_gradient 2.1
  accuracy .0001
  contained_by { box { <-1.8999, 3.9, -1.8999>, <1.8999, 5.1, 1.8999> }}
  material { MixedRegion }

  interior {
    ior 1.400
  }
  photons{
    target
    refraction on
    reflection on
  }
}

I'm getting some dark specks. I don't know if that's due to
max_trace_level, or my lighting, or if it's a real effect caused by
small reflections or refractions of shadowed areas. They don't happen
with an opaque texture, so it's not due to max_gradient or accuracy.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure