POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Problem merging two isosurfaces : Re: Problem merging two isosurfaces Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:27:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem merging two isosurfaces
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 11 Oct 2008 22:45:00
Message: <web.48f1637ec4ddaaee85de7b680@news.povray.org>
"Mike" <win### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>   My problem is that when I try to
> merge the two objects I create, I have tried merge and union I always see a
> middle boundary in between them.  The indicies of refraction are matched and I
> am using fresnel reflection, so I do not see how or why I am seeing this.  If
> anyone has any ideas on how to make this artifact go away that would be very
> helpful.  I have posted the code I used to make the object below.

This looks like a coincident surface problem.  Usually this shows up as
speckles, but in your case it appears to have obliterated both surfaces.

The quick solution would have been to change the 3.2 to 3.4999 so that the
overlap area is only 0.0001--but that didn't eliminate the problem for me; it
only made it thinner.

But I like Mike Williams's solution better anyway.  The cast spots seem to be
from the egg-carton topology, although I can't think of why that would be.  But
once you turn on photons, they'll refract into a spotted pattern anyway, so I
wouldn't worry about them.