POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : A simple bewbie question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:26:16 EDT (-0400)
  A simple bewbie question (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Simon
Subject: A simple bewbie question
Date: 16 Jun 2007 04:18:17
Message: <46739cc9$1@news.povray.org>
I'm sorry to ask this but I suspect this is one of my big problems with
making scenes look realistic...

When I define an object (let's use a round stand), I would do something
like:

A vertical cylinder to represent the top of the stand
a torus to round the edges of the stand
a vertical cylinder to represent the side of the stend.

I'm doing all this to give the shape soft/rounded edges

(hope this makes sense) but although I can do it in simple cases, to do it
for (say) a box would require 3 boxes, 12 cylinders and 8 spheres.

Is this the only way? Is this how it was done for individual blocks in the
P.b-i "Yet Another CGSphere Entry" post ? or is there some way to "erode" ?

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

> I'm sorry to ask this but I suspect this is one of my big problems with
> making scenes look realistic...
>
> When I define an object (let's use a round stand), I would do something
> like:
>
> A vertical cylinder to represent the top of the stand
> a torus to round the edges of the stand
> a vertical cylinder to represent the side of the stend.
>
> I'm doing all this to give the shape soft/rounded edges
>
> (hope this makes sense) but although I can do it in simple cases, to do it
> for (say) a box would require 3 boxes, 12 cylinders and 8 spheres.
>
> Is this the only way? Is this how it was done for individual blocks in the
> P.b-i "Yet Another CGSphere Entry" post ? or is there some way to "erode"
> ?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated
>
> Thanks in advance

>I'm sorry to ask this but I suspect this is one of my big problems with
>making scenes look realistic...
>
>When I define an object (let's use a round stand), I would do something
>like:
>
>A vertical cylinder to represent the top of the stand
>a torus to round the edges of the stand
>a vertical cylinder to represent the side of the stend.
>
>I'm doing all this to give the shape soft/rounded edges
>
>(hope this makes sense) but although I can do it in simple cases, to do it
>for (say) a box would require 3 boxes, 12 cylinders and 8 spheres.
>
>Is this the only way? Is this how it was done for individual blocks in the
>P.b-i "Yet Another CGSphere Entry" post ? or is there some way to "erode" ?

If you take a look at the shapes.inc documentation you'll find some
predefined macros that create rounded boxes, cylinders and cones. They
do it the same way that you would do it: a rounded cylinder is two
cylinders and two toruses, a rounded box is 3 boxes, 12 cylinders and 8
spheres.

It's not the only way. You could do something with isosurfaces, but it
would probably run quite a bit slower. You can also create things that
look something like rounded boxes and cylinders with the superellipsoid
object, but again it tends to be slower than using unions of simple
objects.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

Have you had a look at this site - there  are lots of pre-defined shapes and
things and I found the downloads very useful.
http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/objects/obj_000e.htm
Zog
"Simon" <povray@*NOSPAM*SOWare.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm sorry to ask this but I suspect this is one of my big problems with
> making scenes look realistic...
>
> When I define an object (let's use a round stand), I would do something
> like:
>
> A vertical cylinder to represent the top of the stand
> a torus to round the edges of the stand
> a vertical cylinder to represent the side of the stend.
>
> I'm doing all this to give the shape soft/rounded edges
>
> (hope this makes sense) but although I can do it in simple cases, to do it
> for (say) a box would require 3 boxes, 12 cylinders and 8 spheres.
>
> Is this the only way? Is this how it was done for individual blocks in the
> P.b-i "Yet Another CGSphere Entry" post ? or is there some way to "erode"
?

> Any help greatly appreciated
>
> Thanks in advance

> Is this the only way? Is this how it was done for individual blocks in the
> P.b-i "Yet Another CGSphere Entry" post ? or is there some way to "erode" ?

The blocks in that image were created using none of the methods mentioned
above. I wrote a macro to create "eroded" bricks as mesh2 objects -
basically a 'rounded' cuboid made purely of triangles which can then be
perturbed using pigment functions not dissimilar to those used in
isosurfaces.

I just need to tidy this macro up and then I'll post it. :-)

Bill

Post a reply to this message

> The blocks in that image were created using none of the methods mentioned
> above. I wrote a macro to create "eroded" bricks as mesh2 objects -
> basically a 'rounded' cuboid made purely of triangles which can then be
> perturbed using pigment functions not dissimilar to those used in
> isosurfaces.

Clever!

> I just need to tidy this macro up and then I'll post it. :-)

Yumm :-p--

Marc

Post a reply to this message