POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Not new but new to Vista Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:33:42 EDT (-0400)
  Not new but new to Vista (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: JeffBTX
Subject: Not new but new to Vista
Date: 24 Apr 2007 01:25:02
Message: <web.462d9335ea35e02d185125770@news.povray.org>
Im not new to PovRay (I started years ago with "DKBTrace"). I'm just back
after having been gone awhile... my last computer was destroyed in an
accident in late 2002.

So now I have a strong custom built computer (AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 4Gb
RAM, 500 Gb HD space, Nvidia 8800GTX video card, ... etc). .. and
unfortunately(?) Windows Vista Home Premium *64 bit version*. The new
computer was just delivered this afternoon, and I am still getting used to
Vista (XP kind of passed me by, my last machine used WinME). I'm dismayed
to see from a some posts that PovRay and Vista don't seem to be getting
along (?)

Two questions.

(1) Which version should I attempt to install on my computer... I have a
dual  core 64 bit processor and a 64 bit version of Vista, but the download
page  specifically states " (64 bit) XP Professional ".

(2) Can someone who has already suffered through it post a *definitive*
"how-to" on getting POVRay (3.6.1c) to run under Vista without problems?
With a minimum of fuss?

- Thanks - Jeff

Post a reply to this message

JeffBTX nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 24-04-2007 01:18:
> Im not new to PovRay (I started years ago with "DKBTrace"). I'm just back
> after having been gone awhile... my last computer was destroyed in an
> accident in late 2002.

> So now I have a strong custom built computer (AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 4Gb
> RAM, 500 Gb HD space, Nvidia 8800GTX video card, ... etc). .. and
> unfortunately(?) Windows Vista Home Premium *64 bit version*. The new
> computer was just delivered this afternoon, and I am still getting used to
> Vista (XP kind of passed me by, my last machine used WinME). I'm dismayed
> to see from a some posts that PovRay and Vista don't seem to be getting
> along (?)

> Two questions.

> (1) Which version should I attempt to install on my computer... I have a
> dual  core 64 bit processor and a 64 bit version of Vista, but the download
> page  specifically states " (64 bit) XP Professional ".

> (2) Can someone who has already suffered through it post a *definitive*
> "how-to" on getting POVRay (3.6.1c) to run under Vista without problems?
> With a minimum of fuss?

> - Thanks - Jeff
Install POV-Ray in it's own, custom, folder if you want to edit any ini file.

As you have a 64 bits OS, you can go for the 64 bits version, but the 32 bits
version will still run.

--
Alain
Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every

Post a reply to this message

From: JeffBTX
Date: 24 Apr 2007 08:20:02
Message: <web.462df4c578827f33185125770@news.povray.org>
> Install POV-Ray in it's own, custom, folder if you want to edit any ini file.
>
> As you have a 64 bits OS, you can go for the 64 bits version, but the 32 bits
> version will still run.
>
> --
> Alain

Alain: thank you for the reply; I'm not sure what you mean, exactly.

Run POVRay's setup program but specify a directory other than POVRAY (or
whatever the default directory is)? Install POVRay normally, but move it
into a different folder afterwords (and subsequently changing INIs, CFGs to
reflect the new path for the POVRay executable)?

And what I am gleaning from the posts on the subject (not very well, yet -
Vista is still new to me) is that should be running the OS in full
Administrater Mode, and set compatibility to WinXP? (WinXP *professional*,
if there is a setting for it... I have to check).

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 24 Apr 2007 18:50:31
Message: <462e89b7$1@news.povray.org>
JeffBTX nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 24-04-2007 08:15:
>> Install POV-Ray in it's own, custom, folder if you want to edit any ini file.

>> As you have a 64 bits OS, you can go for the 64 bits version, but the 32 bits
>> version will still run.

>> --
>> Alain

> Alain: thank you for the reply; I'm not sure what you mean, exactly.

> Run POVRay's setup program but specify a directory other than POVRAY (or
> whatever the default directory is)? Install POVRay normally, but move it
> into a different folder afterwords (and subsequently changing INIs, CFGs to
> reflect the new path for the POVRay executable)?

> And what I am gleaning from the posts on the subject (not very well, yet -
> Vista is still new to me) is that should be running the OS in full
> Administrater Mode, and set compatibility to WinXP? (WinXP *professional*,
> if there is a setting for it... I have to check).

During the install process, the instaler will ask you where you want to install,
and suggest a default path: \program files\POV-Ray...
You are never limited by that suggestion. Here, you can chose another location,
just browse to another location OUT of the \program files\ folder.
The reason is that Vista don't let you edit any *.INI files located anywhere in
program files.

If you actualy move the installed POV-Ray afterward, once you run it from the
new location, it should recreate it's entries in the new location. (it does when
they are missing)
As for runing as administrator, that should have been discouraged since Win95!

--
Alain
I abhor war and view it as the greatest scourge of mankind.

Post a reply to this message

From: JeffBTX
Date: 24 Apr 2007 19:15:01
Message: <web.462e8f2878827f33185125770@news.povray.org>
Alain : Thanks - that makes sense to me, I think I understand - I will
install the 64 bit version of POVRay this evening and see what happens.

Thanks - Jeff

Post a reply to this message

From: jeff
Date: 26 Jun 2007 17:30:02
Message: <web.4681851e78827f33ff7137200@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> During the install process, the instaler will ask you where you want to install,
> and suggest a default path: program filesPOV-Ray...
> You are never limited by that suggestion. Here, you can chose another location,
> just browse to another location OUT of the program files folder.
> The reason is that Vista don't let you edit any *.INI files located anywhere in
> program files.
>
> If you actualy move the installed POV-Ray afterward, once you run it from the
> new location, it should recreate it's entries in the new location. (it does when
> they are missing)
> As for runing as administrator, that should have been discouraged since Win95!

This seems like a lot of extra work, when all that you REALLY need is to
r-click on the install folder and change the permissions to allow
write/modify by all users.  This has cleaned up all my problems under Vista
Ultimate
64-bit.

Regards,

Jeff McClain