POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Not new but new to Vista : Re: Not new but new to Vista Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not new but new to Vista
From: Alain
Date: 24 Apr 2007 06:02:16
Message: <462dd5a8$1@news.povray.org>
JeffBTX nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 24-04-2007 01:18:
> Im not new to PovRay (I started years ago with "DKBTrace"). I'm just back
> after having been gone awhile... my last computer was destroyed in an
> accident in late 2002.

> So now I have a strong custom built computer (AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 4Gb
> RAM, 500 Gb HD space, Nvidia 8800GTX video card, ... etc). .. and
> unfortunately(?) Windows Vista Home Premium *64 bit version*. The new
> computer was just delivered this afternoon, and I am still getting used to
> Vista (XP kind of passed me by, my last machine used WinME). I'm dismayed
> to see from a some posts that PovRay and Vista don't seem to be getting
> along (?)

> Two questions.

> (1) Which version should I attempt to install on my computer... I have a
> dual  core 64 bit processor and a 64 bit version of Vista, but the download
> page  specifically states " (64 bit) XP Professional ".

> (2) Can someone who has already suffered through it post a *definitive*
> "how-to" on getting POVRay (3.6.1c) to run under Vista without problems?
> With a minimum of fuss?

> - Thanks - Jeff
Install POV-Ray in it's own, custom, folder if you want to edit any ini file.

As you have a 64 bits OS, you can go for the 64 bits version, but the 32 bits
version will still run.

--
Alain
Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every