POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Not new but new to Vista : Re: Not new but new to Vista Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:23:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not new but new to Vista
From: Alain
Date: 24 Apr 2007 18:50:31
Message: <462e89b7$1@news.povray.org>
JeffBTX nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 24-04-2007 08:15:
>> Install POV-Ray in it's own, custom, folder if you want to edit any ini file.

>> As you have a 64 bits OS, you can go for the 64 bits version, but the 32 bits
>> version will still run.

>> --
>> Alain

> Alain: thank you for the reply; I'm not sure what you mean, exactly.

> Run POVRay's setup program but specify a directory other than POVRAY (or
> whatever the default directory is)? Install POVRay normally, but move it
> into a different folder afterwords (and subsequently changing INIs, CFGs to
> reflect the new path for the POVRay executable)?

> And what I am gleaning from the posts on the subject (not very well, yet -
> Vista is still new to me) is that should be running the OS in full
> Administrater Mode, and set compatibility to WinXP? (WinXP *professional*,
> if there is a setting for it... I have to check).

During the install process, the instaler will ask you where you want to install,
and suggest a default path: \program files\POV-Ray...
You are never limited by that suggestion. Here, you can chose another location,
just browse to another location OUT of the \program files\ folder.
The reason is that Vista don't let you edit any *.INI files located anywhere in
program files.

If you actualy move the installed POV-Ray afterward, once you run it from the
new location, it should recreate it's entries in the new location. (it does when
they are missing)
As for runing as administrator, that should have been discouraged since Win95!

--
Alain
I abhor war and view it as the greatest scourge of mankind.