POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Transparent object is black Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:24:22 EDT (-0400)
  Transparent object is black (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: robart
Subject: Transparent object is black
Date: 9 Oct 2006 06:40:01
Message: <web.452a2519bf591dffeddc22b50@news.povray.org>
I only have a single sphere to which I applied the Glass texture and it just
appears as black. I've followed other "transparent object" tutorials and
they appeared as black too. I've tried raising max_trace_level but that
didn't help.

/////////////////////////////
#include "colors.inc"
#include "textures.inc"

light_source {
  <0, 25, 5>
  color White
}

camera {
  location <0, 0,-2>
  look_at  <0, 0, 0>
}

global_settings {
  ambient_light
//  max_trace_level 100
}

background {
  Gray80
}

sphere {
  0, 0.5
  texture {
    Glass
  }
}
//////////////////////
In case it's useful, I'm using Version 3.6 on WinXP SP2.

Post a reply to this message

> I only have a single sphere to which I applied the Glass texture and it just
> appears as black. I've followed other "transparent object" tutorials and
> they appeared as black too. I've tried raising max_trace_level but that
> didn't help.

What you need is something else in your scene. So you can see the
transparency of the sphere. for example add a sky sphere.

sky_sphere {
  pigment {
    gradient y
    color_map { [0.0 color rgb <0.7,0.7,1.0>] [1.0 color blue 0.5] }
  }
}

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Penelope20k
Date: 9 Oct 2006 08:22:39
Message: <452a3f0f$1@news.povray.org>
its normal ...the texture Glass is a bit dark and transparency is at 0.7...
On main scene it will be a little dark
The Glass2 is more transparent that the Glass texture
Glass3 is Crystal like ..

From: Sherry Shaw
Date: 9 Oct 2006 09:37:33
Message: <452a509d@news.povray.org>
robart wrote:

>I only have a single sphere to which I applied the Glass texture and it just
>appears as black. I've followed other "transparent object" tutorials and
>they appeared as black too. I've tried raising max_trace_level but that
>didn't help.
>
>/////////////////////////////
>#include "colors.inc"
>#include "textures.inc"
>
>light_source {
>  <0, 25, 5>
>  color White
>}
>

>camera {
>  location <0, 0,-2>
>  look_at  <0, 0, 0>
>}
>
>global_settings {
>  ambient_light
>//  max_trace_level 100
>}
>
>background {
>  Gray80
>}
>
>sphere {
>  0, 0.5
>  texture {
>    Glass
>  }
>}
>//////////////////////
>In case it's useful, I'm using Version 3.6 on WinXP SP2.

This is off-topic for your question, but I notice that you have
"ambient_light" without any color value in your global_settings.  Were
you perhaps trying to adjust the overall brightness of your scene?  If
that's the case, you might need to use "assumed_gamma" instead.  (On my
PC, for example, scenes tend to come out much too dark unless I use
"assumed_gamma 1.0" or thereabouts.)

Hope this is of some use!

--Sherry Shaw

--
#macro T(E,N)sphere{x,.4rotate z*E*60translate y*N pigment{wrinkles scale
.3}finish{ambient 1}}#end#local I=0;#while(I<5)T(I,1)T(1-I,-1)#local I=I+

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 9 Oct 2006 11:20:02
Message: <452a68a2@news.povray.org>
robart nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 09/10/2006 06:35:
> I only have a single sphere to which I applied the Glass texture and it just
> appears as black. I've followed other "transparent object" tutorials and
> they appeared as black too. I've tried raising max_trace_level but that
> didn't help.
>
> /////////////////////////////
> #include "colors.inc"
> #include "textures.inc"
>
> light_source {
>   <0, 25, 5>
>   color White
> }
>

> camera {
>   location <0, 0,-2>
>   look_at  <0, 0, 0>
> }
>
> global_settings {
>   ambient_light
> //  max_trace_level 100
> }
>
> background {
>   Gray80
> }
>
> sphere {
>   0, 0.5
>   texture {
>     Glass
>   }
> }
> //////////////////////
> In case it's useful, I'm using Version 3.6 on WinXP SP2.

Do you have changed the quality setting? Set that to low and transparency are
ignored and tend to render dark or black.
ambient_light in global_settings is used to change the overall tint of the
ambient part of the finish, usualy beter not to use at all.

--
Alain
Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened.

Post a reply to this message

From: robart
Date: 10 Oct 2006 02:20:00
Message: <web.452b3b08a3d23ededdc22b50@news.povray.org>
Oh, I must have left ambient_light in there when I copied and pasted from
other scenes.

Alain was right. I checked my POVRAY.INI file and Quality=4, though I don't
ever remember setting it to that...

Thanks everyone for your help.

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 10 Oct 2006 19:13:54
Message: <452c2932$1@news.povray.org>
robart nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 10/10/2006 02:17:
> Oh, I must have left ambient_light in there when I copied and pasted from
> other scenes.
>
> Alain was right. I checked my POVRAY.INI file and Quality=4, though I don't
> ever remember setting it to that...
>
> Thanks everyone for your help.

Maybe you used some other programm that set it to 4 for a test render, and it
did'nt set it back after it finished.

--
Alain
To define recursion, we must first define recursion.