POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Animation question... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  Animation question... (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Carl Hoff
Subject: Animation question...
Date: 13 Feb 2004 18:27:35
Message: <402d5d67@news.povray.org>
I'm getting ready to make my first short animations.  There are so many
different formats out there I'm not really sure where to start.  If I were
to post one to povray.binaries.animations is their a preferred format?  If
not is there an FAQ for beginners out there that explains the pros and cons
of the different formats?  I'm also curious what software most POV-Ray users
use to turn their POV-Ray outputted frames into animations.  The docs say
"There are a number of programs available" so I'm looking for
recommendations on something simple and easy to learn and free (as I'm
unemployed at the moment).

Thanks,
Carl

Post a reply to this message

> I'm getting ready to make my first short animations.  There are so many
> different formats out there I'm not really sure where to start.  If I were
> to post one to povray.binaries.animations is their a preferred format?  If
> not is there an FAQ for beginners out there that explains the pros and
cons
> of the different formats?  I'm also curious what software most POV-Ray
users
> use to turn their POV-Ray outputted frames into animations.  The docs say
> "There are a number of programs available" so I'm looking for
> recommendations on something simple and easy to learn and free (as I'm
> unemployed at the moment).

The IRTC accepts MPEG-1 files. For more information, see:
http://www.irtc.org/anims/rules.html#anims

I'd stick with that format just in case you make something really incredible
and you want to submit it.

Also, if you're unemployed and looking for free stuff, I'd use UNIX and get
the netpbm library to build your MPEG file. It's a little tedious, but you
have very fine control over your frames. Most package installers (like rpm,
up2date, dselect, RPMDrake, etc. based on your flavor of Linux or UNIX)
include netpbm now. If you want to go to the website, go to:
http://netpbm.sourceforge.net

In my experience, if you're lazy (like me) and don't want to go get the more
obscure players, you'll find that RealPlayer works fairly well for MPEG-1
animations and Windows Media Player absolutely flatulates on it.

Hope this helps!

Post a reply to this message

> The IRTC accepts MPEG-1 files. For more information, see:
> http://www.irtc.org/anims/rules.html#anims
>
> I'd stick with that format just in case you make something really
> incredible and you want to submit it.

Ok... I'll stick with MPEG-1.  I see the link above says
"I", "P", and "B" frames are permitted.

Are those sub flavors of MPEG-1?  I don't know what that
means.

> Also, if you're unemployed and looking for free stuff, I'd use
> UNIX and get the netpbm library to build your MPEG file.

I'm running Windows ME.  I guess I should have said that first.
I'm not much of a UNIX person.

> It's a little tedious, but you have very fine control over your
> frames. Most package installers (like rpm, up2date,
> dselect, RPMDrake, etc. based on your flavor of Linux or
> UNIX) include netpbm now. If you want to go to the website,
> go to: http://netpbm.sourceforge.net

Most of that went over my head.  Package installers?  I think
I need a very beginner level FAQ before all that makes sense
to me but from the sound of what you said its just for UNIX.
I did take a look at the side and see something that looks to be
for windows:

Netpbm for Cygwin (Windows)

and

Netpbm for Windows using Mingw32 and GNU Bash.

But I don't know what Cygwin, Mingw32, or GNU Bash are.

> In my experience, if you're lazy (like me)

Yes... its a little that.  But right now its more the lack of
experience making animations.  I've simply never made one
before.  I'm sure I can learn.  I didn't know how to use
POV-Ray 4 months ago.

> and don't want to go get the more obscure players, you'll
> find that RealPlayer works fairly well for MPEG-1
> animations and Windows Media Player absolutely flatulates
> on it.

I don't think playing it should be a problem.  I've got several
players and I can view most of the stuff posted over in
povray.binaries.animations.

> Hope this helps!

I'm not sure.  If you are telling me I need UNIX than
probably not.  I was just wanting something I could
feed the POV-Ray frames into and have it spit out a
MPEG-1 file.  You've convinced me on the format
atleast.  I might want something that would allow me
to add sound at some point but I can live without that
for now.  Above you talk about "very fine control over
your frames".  What control is needed aside from
what order to put them in?  I'll be making the frames in
POV-Ray.

Thanks,
Carl

Post a reply to this message

I've had good luck with TGAUtils. You can turn any range of files into an
AVI file, with or without compression. You can also set the frame rate.
http://www.servletsource.com/Multimedia/Video/TGAutils-product-2178.htm

If you prefer to render your files as bitmaps (BMP), have a look at these

http://www.newfreeware.com/search.php3?q=bmp+to+avi

best,
Dennis

> > The IRTC accepts MPEG-1 files. For more information, see:
> > http://www.irtc.org/anims/rules.html#anims
> >
> > I'd stick with that format just in case you make something really
> > incredible and you want to submit it.
>
> Ok... I'll stick with MPEG-1.  I see the link above says
> "I", "P", and "B" frames are permitted.
>
> Are those sub flavors of MPEG-1?  I don't know what that
> means.
>
> > Also, if you're unemployed and looking for free stuff, I'd use
> > UNIX and get the netpbm library to build your MPEG file.
>
> I'm running Windows ME.  I guess I should have said that first.
> I'm not much of a UNIX person.
>
> > It's a little tedious, but you have very fine control over your
> > frames. Most package installers (like rpm, up2date,
> > dselect, RPMDrake, etc. based on your flavor of Linux or
> > UNIX) include netpbm now. If you want to go to the website,
> > go to: http://netpbm.sourceforge.net
>
> Most of that went over my head.  Package installers?  I think
> I need a very beginner level FAQ before all that makes sense
> to me but from the sound of what you said its just for UNIX.
> I did take a look at the side and see something that looks to be
> for windows:
>
> Netpbm for Cygwin (Windows)
>
> and
>
> Netpbm for Windows using Mingw32 and GNU Bash.
>
> But I don't know what Cygwin, Mingw32, or GNU Bash are.
>
> > In my experience, if you're lazy (like me)
>
> Yes... its a little that.  But right now its more the lack of
> experience making animations.  I've simply never made one
> before.  I'm sure I can learn.  I didn't know how to use
> POV-Ray 4 months ago.
>
> > and don't want to go get the more obscure players, you'll
> > find that RealPlayer works fairly well for MPEG-1
> > animations and Windows Media Player absolutely flatulates
> > on it.
>
> I don't think playing it should be a problem.  I've got several
> players and I can view most of the stuff posted over in
> povray.binaries.animations.
>
> > Hope this helps!
>
> I'm not sure.  If you are telling me I need UNIX than
> probably not.  I was just wanting something I could
> feed the POV-Ray frames into and have it spit out a
> MPEG-1 file.  You've convinced me on the format
> atleast.  I might want something that would allow me
> to add sound at some point but I can live without that
> for now.  Above you talk about "very fine control over
> your frames".  What control is needed aside from
> what order to put them in?  I'll be making the frames in
> POV-Ray.
>
> Thanks,
> Carl

Post a reply to this message