POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Texture Library plugin Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Texture Library plugin (Message 6 to 15 of 15)
From: ABX
Subject: Re: Texture Library plugin
Date: 8 Aug 2003 02:24:56
Message: <c9g6jvohfqcgie45tjdpj21bn8td0umliv@4ax.com>
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 13:16:35 -0700, Patrick Elliott <sha### [at] hotmailcom>
wrote:
> In article <7ni4jvgp2qkstm76cg77a7u5v9tc5kn1d6@4ax.com>, abx### [at] abxartpl
> says...
> > I don't see what is advantage of that plugin over customizable Insert
> > Menu with prerendered images ?
> You mean besides the fact that there is an internal limit on the number
> of items in this menu

What limit? I just looked into BuildDirList function in codemax code and do
not see any hardcoded limit.

> that the last batch I added suddenly caused
> POV-Ray to show menu images on menus 'other' than the insert menu as a
> side effect?

Can you write me more about it?

Have you already reported your problems somewhere ?

ABX

Post a reply to this message

> On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 13:16:35 -0700, Patrick Elliott <sha### [at] hotmailcom>
> wrote:
>
>>In article <7ni4jvgp2qkstm76cg77a7u5v9tc5kn1d6@4ax.com>, abx### [at] abxartpl
>>says...
>>
>>>I don't see what is advantage of that plugin over customizable Insert
>>>Menu with prerendered images ?
>>
>>You mean besides the fact that there is an internal limit on the number
>>of items in this menu
>

> What limit? I just looked into BuildDirList function in codemax code and do
> not see any hardcoded limit.
>

>>that the last batch I added suddenly caused
>>POV-Ray to show menu images on menus 'other' than the insert menu as a
>>side effect?
>

> Can you write me more about it?
>
> Have you already reported your problems somewhere ?
>
> ABX

I mentioned this a while back (a couple of months perhaps, but a search
of news.povray.org doesn't reveal the message) and didn't see a response
that addressed a solution. This also was brought up by Thomas Eicher on
10 Sept, 2002. It shows up when adding a couple of Insert menu add-ons
("Basic templates" by Friedrich Lohmueller and "IsoCSG include file" by
a person whose name I don't have access to at this time).

Two problems show up:
1) Past a certain point in the Insert menu, nothing is inserted in the
    file being edited. With both add-ons installed, Shapes/quadric will
    insert text, but Shapes/quartic will not. This breakpoint changes
    depending on which add-ons are present, and what position they are
    placed in the menu.
2) Previews show up in strange places. With the above mentioned add-ons
    installed, I see previews under various items in the Render menu (for
    example "Select File and Render" and "Run Demo"). They show up all of
    the way through to "Help/About POV-Ray for Windows...".

Let me know if you need any additional info.

Post a reply to this message

> 1) Past a certain point in the Insert menu, nothing is inserted in the
>     file being edited. With both add-ons installed, Shapes/quadric will
>     insert text, but Shapes/quartic will not. This breakpoint changes
>     depending on which add-ons are present, and what position they are
>     placed in the menu.
> 2) Previews show up in strange places. With the above mentioned add-ons
>     installed, I see previews under various items in the Render menu (for
>     example "Select File and Render" and "Run Demo"). They show up all of
>     the way through to "Help/About POV-Ray for Windows...".
>
> Let me know if you need any additional info.

Exactly. I have the IsoCSG one and the scene templates menus, but as far
as I know I haven't run into item 1 above. However, I do suffer from item
2. On mine I am get the following quirks:

Menu                            Image
----                            -----
Render - Edit Settings          CSG Operations - Intersection
Render - Start Render           Patterns 1 - Cylindrical
Render - File Queue             Patterns 1 - Brick
Render - Animation - No Shell.. IsoCSG include file  - iso_bcsg.inc
                                  - shape macros - IC_BSuperellipsoid
Options - Other Settings
  - Show Tips of the Day        IsoCSG include file - iso_chars.inc
                                  - IC_Text()
Options - Other Settings
  - Show Next Tip               Pattern/Texture Attributes
                                  - Wave form attribute
Options - Render Window
  - Force 8-bit display         Patterns 1 - function
Options - Render Window
  - Close                       Transformations - Rotate
Options - Render Window
  - Keep Above Main             IsoCSG include file - iso-csg.inc
                                  - shape macros - IC_Box()
Options - Message Window
  - Select Plain Background     Transformation - Translate
Options - Message Window
  - Text Font                   IsoCSG include file - iso-csg.inc
                                  - CSG macros - IC_Difference4()
Options - Message Window
  - Text Color                  IsoCSG include file - iso-csg.inc
                                  - CSG macros - IC_Merge2()
Options - Message Window
  - Choose Background - Browse  IsoCSG include file - iso-csg.inc
                                  - IC_Displace()
Help - Bug Reporting            Patterns 1 - Slope
Help - Show Tip                 Pattern/Texture Attributes
                                  - Wave form attribute
Help - About...                 Patterns 2 - Leopard

It may help to know if this is common to all cases of having those menu
extensions installed. I think this started happening right after I
installed the CSG ones, but before adding the Basic scene template one,
so the CSG by itself may somehow be doing it. It is definitely odd and I
don't trust the menu at all because of it.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else