POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Understanding image maps on spheres Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Understanding image maps on spheres (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: jbbarnes
Subject: Understanding image maps on spheres
Date: 30 Dec 2002 05:47:13
Message: <3e102431$1@news.povray.org>
Could someone explain to me how flat images are mapped onto spheres so I can
better manipulate them?

Here is an example of what I am working on:
http://www.geocities.com/jbbarnes77/fictionbannerfull.jpg I'm creating
glass-looking spheres that seem to have pictures inside them. The problem is
that I am having a really hard time getting the images aligned properly for
the camera. Tiling images are not too much of a problem, but let's say I
have an image of a man sitting in a chair and I want him in the dead center
of the sphere. I can set the image size and then play around with rotate
statements, but it's all guesswork because I don't understand the logic
behind the mapping process. I've learned that if I simply rotate the sphere
itself after the image is mapped, I get undesirable effects because only
looking dead-on gives a flat image. From other directions the image is
stretched and distorted. So I need to rotate the image as it is placed on
the sphere. But the x, y, and z don't work as I expect them to. Maybe I
should be using something other than rotate commands.

Here's the definition of the rightmost sphere in the above picture:

sphere { <68, 0, 50>, 10
   pigment {
      image_map { jpeg "nebula.jpg" interpolate 2 }
      scale 20
      rotate 60*z
      rotate -3*x
      rotate 6*y
    }
   finish {
      ambient 0.55
      diffuse 0.7
      phong 1
      phong_size 100
      reflection 0.505
   }
}

This was the closest I could get to making the nebula the right size and
getting it centered, but it's still not quite right. Can someone help me out
so that, once I scale the image correctly, I can understand how to center
the portion I want. Just rotating by x and y does not move it horizontally
and vertically like I had hoped.

Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

"jbbarnes" <jbb### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

>       image_map { jpeg "nebula.jpg" interpolate 2 }

  I think the problem is that you are using the default planar mapping.
Try using map_type on the image_map statement to set it to spherical.

  Happy mapping!

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org

Post a reply to this message

>   I think the problem is that you are using the default planar mapping.
> Try using map_type on the image_map statement to set it to spherical.

Jaime,

I tried spherical, but it did not give the right effect. Everything looked
like it was in a fish-eye lens, with the center very magnified and
distorted. Using planar gives the right effect (a nice, flat, picture) but
is just difficult for me to figure out the logic of how it positions the
image within the sphere.

Post a reply to this message