POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Understanding image maps on spheres : Re: Understanding image maps on spheres Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:15:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Understanding image maps on spheres
From: jbbarnes
Date: 30 Dec 2002 23:39:59
Message: <3e111f9f$1@news.povray.org>

>   First, you need to create the sphere at the origin (<0,0,0>). That
> simplifies things a lot. You can translate it to the desired position
> later, after the texture statements.
>
>   Then, you nedd to translate the texture to fit the sphere, not
> viceversa. You must know how the image_map is positioned by default.

Okay, so where I locate the sphere as I put the image map on it makes a
difference... That could be the source of the "inconsistencies" I was
seeing. Especially between identical spheres placed in different locations.
And it did seem like moving the spheres had an effect on the image map.

As you suggested, I will try creating them at <0,0,0> first and then moving
them to where I need them.

Thank you for the code examples and the documentation locations.