POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Understanding image maps on spheres : Re: Understanding image maps on spheres Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:26:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Understanding image maps on spheres
From: Peter Hertel
Date: 30 Dec 2002 16:31:45
Message: <3e10bb41@news.povray.org>
> > I tried spherical, but it did not give the right effect. Everything
> > looked like it was in a fish-eye lens, with the center very magnified
> > and distorted. Using planar gives the right effect (a nice, flat,
> > picture) but is just difficult for me to figure out the logic of how
> > it positions the image within the sphere.
>
>   Sorry, I read your message too fast. I see now you need a bit more
> help...

<znip>

What about:
6.4.2.8 Spherical projection
Using this projection the scene is projected onto a sphere....

Rendering the scene/image you would like to add to the sphere with a
spherical camera, and then mapping it onto the sphere with spherical
mapping, the image won't be fish-eye disorted.
Just a thought.. Or did I misunderstand the problem?

-Peter