POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rendering ONLY the shadow falling on the object (not the object itself) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:22:29 EDT (-0400)
  Rendering ONLY the shadow falling on the object (not the object itself) (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Frantisek Fuka
Subject: Rendering ONLY the shadow falling on the object (not the object itself)
Date: 22 Nov 2002 17:01:49
Message: <3ddea94d@news.povray.org>
I tried rendering PNG images with transparency so that I can use them as
a sprites in the game but I encountered the problem with shadows. Let's
say my rendered figure looks like this (this is not the actual model I'm
using):

http://www.fuxoft.cz/tmp/pig.png

That's great, I can use this as a sprite, but because in the game the
sprite will be always moving on the flat ground, I'd also like the
sprite to contain the shadow that it casts on the ground (preferably as
alpha channel, so that the game background will be partly seen through
it). But if I add some sort of ground, I get this:

http://www.fuxoft.cz/tmp/pig2.png

There are shadows but of course there's no longer any transparency, just
white ground. And when I try to make the ground see-thru, the shadows
disappear too... Can I somehow render the shadows but retain the
background transparency???

Please note that this cannot be solved with "no_image" directive. I want
to render object X (the figure) and the shadow that object X casts on
object Y (the ground), but not object Y itself.

Thanks

Post a reply to this message

> There are shadows but of course there's no longer any transparency, just
> white ground. And when I try to make the ground see-thru, the shadows
> disappear too... Can I somehow render the shadows but retain the
> background transparency???

Hmm... try using a white plane with brilliance 0, something like this:

plane {
  y, 0
  pigment { rgb 1 }
  finish { diffuse 1 brilliance 0 }
}

It should keep the shadows but get rid of the shading, the plane should be
pure white wherever light hits it.

Post a reply to this message

>>There are shadows but of course there's no longer any transparency, just
>>white ground. And when I try to make the ground see-thru, the shadows
>>disappear too... Can I somehow render the shadows but retain the
>>background transparency???
>>

> Hmm... try using a white plane with brilliance 0, something like this:
>
> plane {
>   y, 0
>   pigment { rgb 1 }
>   finish { diffuse 1 brilliance 0 }
> }
>
> It should keep the shadows but get rid of the shading, the plane should be
> pure white wherever light hits it.

Yes, exactly, now everything around the sprites is pure white and there
is no transparency anywhere. That's something different than I wanted.

Post a reply to this message