POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rendering ONLY the shadow falling on the object (not the object itself) : Re: Rendering ONLY the shadow falling on the object (not the object itself) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:12:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering ONLY the shadow falling on the object (not the object itself)
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 22 Nov 2002 18:43:55
Message: <chrishuff-E33E0B.18421822112002@netplex.aussie.org>
I think you have a misunderstanding of what shadows are. A shadow is not
an object, it is a lack of illumination on an object. You can't render a
shadow without the object or media it was cast on.
What you could do is put the object with no_image on a plane with a
perfectly white texture and a brilliance value of 0 to eliminate
shading, and use a camera looking down from above. This will give you a
shadow sprite, you might be able to use it directly or you might have to
do some additional processing to put transparency information in an
alpha channel. This new sprite goes horizontally at the base of the main
sprite.

If you want it part of the main sprite, you will definitely need
postprocessing to set the alpha of the shadow to something that works.
As far as I know, there is no way to do this autmatically with real
shadows, but you could put a partially transparent plane with a "spot
shadow" texture below it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/