POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rendering ONLY the shadow falling on the object (not the object itself) : Re: Rendering ONLY the shadow falling on the object (not the objectitself) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering ONLY the shadow falling on the object (not the objectitself)
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 23 Nov 2002 00:33:06
Message: <pan.2002.11.23.05.31.57.721480.218@gte.net>
On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 17:42:36 -0500, Frantisek Fuka quoth:

> Johannes Dahlstrom wrote:
>> Frantisek Fuka wrote:
>>

>>>There are shadows but of course there's no longer any transparency,
>>>just white ground. And when I try to make the ground see-thru, the
>>>shadows disappear too... Can I somehow render the shadows but retain
>>>the background transparency???
>>>

>> Hmm... try using a white plane with brilliance 0, something like this:
>>
>> plane {
>>   y, 0
>>   pigment { rgb 1 }
>>   finish { diffuse 1 brilliance 0 }
>> }
>>
>> It should keep the shadows but get rid of the shading, the plane should
>> be pure white wherever light hits it.
>
> Yes, exactly, now everything around the sprites is pure white and there
> is no transparency anywhere. That's something different than I wanted.

It should be quite easy to use an image editor to put in the transparency
manually: open the image in a good image editor (such as Photoshop or the
GIMP), select the pure white area, and tell the editor to make the
selection transparent.

--
Mark