POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Povray and Blender Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:20:29 EDT (-0400)
  Povray and Blender (Message 12 to 21 of 21)
From: Grassblade
Subject: Re: Povray and Blender
Date: 16 Jul 2007 04:00:02
Message: <web.469b248cdedc19f1d79c3b620@news.povray.org>
IMO you hit the shadow line artifact:
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/193/

If you subdivide your mesh the shadow line artifact should move further out
and occur in a deeper grey area, but you won't get rid of it.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 16 Jul 2007 06:07:43
Message: <469b436f@news.povray.org>
PdG <pdg### [at] intermerdagmailcom> wrote:
> the first has an ireealistic black zone, the second has a smoot gradient
> from light to dark, and if i use a cylinder statement instead of the mesh,
> pov renders it like blender.

  I still see no difference in the images.

  Anyways, just out of curiosity, what happens if you speficy "no_shadow"
in the mesh when you render it with povray?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

Il 16 Jul 2007 06:07:43 -0400, Warp ha scritto:

> PdG <pdg### [at] intermerdagmailcom> wrote:
>> the first has an ireealistic black zone, the second has a smoot gradient
>> from light to dark, and if i use a cylinder statement instead of the mesh,
>> pov renders it like blender.
>
>   I still see no difference in the images.

i think you've some problem with the contrast on your monitor :)

>   Anyways, just out of curiosity, what happens if you speficy "no_shadow"
> in the mesh when you render it with povray?

i'll try, but i think it's the same: there's no other object in the scene,
so there's nothing that could make shadows over the cylinder.

Post a reply to this message

PdG <pdg### [at] intermerdagmailcom> wrote:
> >   Anyways, just out of curiosity, what happens if you speficy "no_shadow"
> > in the mesh when you render it with povray?

> i'll try, but i think it's the same: there's no other object in the scene,
> so there's nothing that could make shadows over the cylinder.

  Yes, there is: The cylinder itself.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

PdG <pdg### [at] INTERMERDAgmailcom> wrote:
> if i use a cylinder statement instead of the mesh,

good thing you've seen the light! :)

really, is there any reason for using a gigantic mesh to represent a
cylinder when the builtin pov cylinder is much more reasonable and better
looking?

Post a reply to this message

Il Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:02:18 EDT, nemesis ha scritto:

> PdG <pdg### [at] INTERMERDAgmailcom> wrote:
>> if i use a cylinder statement instead of the mesh,
>
> good thing you've seen the light! :)
>
> really, is there any reason for using a gigantic mesh to represent a
> cylinder when the builtin pov cylinder is much more reasonable and better
> looking?

the cylinder is only an example, i wonder if the cylinder makes all these
problems, a more complex mesh could have more?

Post a reply to this message

PdG <pdg### [at] intermerdagmailcom> wrote:
> >   Anyways, just out of curiosity, what happens if you speficy "no_shadow"
> > in the mesh when you render it with povray?

> i'll try

  So what happened?

--
                                                          - Warp