POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Povray and Blender : Re: Povray and Blender Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray and Blender
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Jul 2007 05:01:43
Message: <46a1cb77$1@news.povray.org>
"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
> PdG <pdg### [at] INTERMERDAgmailcom> wrote:

>> For example: consider a cylinder. I've made it in blender, i've smoothed,
>> and render it. It goes well.
>> Now, every exports i made, the results is like this:
>>

> I've had a look at this and deconstructed the mesh.
> First of all, the normals all point inward, which isn't such a big deal,
> as
> they all point inward, not just some.
>
> What is causing your problem though is the normals for the sides are not
> normal to the cylinder, they are oriented as if there is a smooth
> transition from the sides to the cap instead of being a sharp edge.  This
> causes POV to treat the mesh as being curved more like a sphere and shades
> it as such.  I don't use Blender, so I don't know how exporting works, but
> you need to limit the angle at which the normals are smoothed for, so the
> side meshes are smoothed around the cylinder, but not up and down the
> cylinder.

I translated PdG's cylinder (through Poseray) to Silo and come to the same
conclusion concerning the normals' orientation inward. That should be easy
to correct.

However, I think that the important keyword that PdG has used in his initial
message is: "i've smoothed".
Smoothing (or subdividing) is the culprit here. What you can do in Silo for
instance, is to "crease" the edges of the cylinder so that the shape remains
the same. Otherwise, the cylinder will turn into a spherical object the more
you smooth or subdivide. I suppose now that something like edge creasing
should be done in Blender before exporting to POV-Ray.

Thomas