POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Why left-handed coordinate system? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:28:02 EDT (-0400)
  Why left-handed coordinate system? (Message 11 to 20 of 21)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>
From: Kaveh
Subject: Re: Why left-handed coordinate system?
Date: 18 Nov 2002 23:15:14
Message: <1flw2yp.zgcs571jnnwnaN%kaveh@delete_this.focalimage.com>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>   By the way, when calculating handedness-related things literally
> using your hand as an aid, it's very important to remember that
> the thum is *always* the x-axis (and the next fingers are the y and
> the z axes).

I find it easier just to use the curled fingers method, not the index
and third fingers. To get the sense of the z axis, I position the left
hand such that the four fingers curl from the x to the y axis. Then the
thumb shows the direction of the z axis.

[...]

>   (If you didn't know, you can easily visualize which direction does
> a positive angle rotate an object by pointing your thumb (of the left
> hand if you are using the left-handed coordinates) towards the positive
> axis around which you are rotating and bend your fingers.)

Yes, this is the way I use the curled fingers.

--
Kaveh

Post a reply to this message

Kaveh <kav### [at] delete_thisfocalimagecom> wrote:
> I find it easier just to use the curled fingers method, not the index
> and third fingers. To get the sense of the z axis, I position the left
> hand such that the four fingers curl from the x to the y axis. Then the
> thumb shows the direction of the z axis.

  That description was very unclear. I did not visualize at all which
direction the thumb is pointing at...

>   (If you didn't know, you can easily visualize which direction does
> a positive angle rotate an object by pointing your thumb (of the left
> hand if you are using the left-handed coordinates) towards the positive
> axis around which you are rotating and bend your fingers.)

  I use only this rule for all my "visualizations" when I'm writing scenes, and I
agree with you: when you have the right hand already on the numeric pad, the
lef-handed system is very useful. Not joking!

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres
http://www.ignorancia.org

Post a reply to this message