POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Why left-handed coordinate system? : Re: Why left-handed coordinate system? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why left-handed coordinate system?
From: Kaveh
Date: 18 Nov 2002 23:15:14
Message: <1flw2yp.zgcs571jnnwnaN%kaveh@delete_this.focalimage.com>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>   By the way, when calculating handedness-related things literally
> using your hand as an aid, it's very important to remember that
> the thum is *always* the x-axis (and the next fingers are the y and
> the z axes).

I find it easier just to use the curled fingers method, not the index
and third fingers. To get the sense of the z axis, I position the left
hand such that the four fingers curl from the x to the y axis. Then the
thumb shows the direction of the z axis.

[...]

>   (If you didn't know, you can easily visualize which direction does
> a positive angle rotate an object by pointing your thumb (of the left
> hand if you are using the left-handed coordinates) towards the positive
> axis around which you are rotating and bend your fingers.)

Yes, this is the way I use the curled fingers.

--
Kaveh