POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : radiosity brightness-- subtle problem at low values Server Time
3 May 2024 01:12:08 EDT (-0400)
  radiosity brightness-- subtle problem at low values (Message 17 to 26 of 36)
From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: radiosity brightness-- subtle problem at low values
Date: 14 Mar 2018 21:20:00
Message: <web.5aa9c93b1cab2f0ba47873e10@news.povray.org>
> Am 13.03.2018 um 20:12 schrieb Kenneth:
>
> > I guess the safest bet right now is: Don't set rad 'brightness ' below .021!
> > Which nobody would normally do anyway ;-)
>
> Actually, the safest bet is: Don't set radiosity brightness to
> /anything/ other than 1.0 in the first place! It wrecks realism anyway.

Interesting. My (apparently outdated) philosophy of reducing brightness comes
from v3.6.2 days-- when things were a bit screwy all around, in hindsight ;-)
Thanks.

re: the slowdown...
> But alas! Those measures suffer from precision problems: One value that
> should be /at least/ adc_bailout + EPSILON is passed around with the
> same precision as colour values (i.e. single precision, as opposed to
> double precision like most math stuff), causing it to be rounded,
> sometimes ending up /smaller than/ adc_bailout.

Ah, that ol' single-precision vs. double-precision devil. (Uh, as if I know what
I'm talking about, ha.) Glad to see that you were able to figure out how to
'exorcise the demon' !  Nice detective work.

Post a reply to this message