POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : radiosity brightness-- subtle problem at low values : Re: radiosity brightness-- subtle problem at low values Server Time
20 May 2024 18:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: radiosity brightness-- subtle problem at low values
From: Kenneth
Date: 17 Mar 2018 17:35:00
Message: <web.5aad89591cab2f0ba47873e10@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> If you are using that model, you can use a lower resolution, highly
> blured, version of the light probe for the radiosity part.
> But, you don't need to use that method. A single sphere is very good.
> Generaly, if the light probe is to bright for the radiosity, then, it's
> also probably to bright for the reflections. I've seen that case. The
> usual solution is to reduce the global emission value for the probe.

I was actually referring to a typical (or old-school?) LOW-dynamic-range image,
for the sky sphere(s). Plus a single light_source in the scene to mimic the Sun,
or whatever. But for an HDR light probe, your suggestions are good-- no 2nd
sphere required.

And using a low-resolution image for the *radiosity* sky is a useful idea in
either scenario. Other than saving memory, though, I'm wondering if a low-rez
blurry image takes less time-- or fewer computations-- when POV-Ray processes
the radiosity light.... instead of using a higher-rez or more 'detailed' image.