POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : radiosity brightness-- subtle problem at low values : Re: radiosity brightness-- subtle problem at low values Server Time
20 May 2024 20:06:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: radiosity brightness-- subtle problem at low values
From: clipka
Date: 17 Mar 2018 20:44:03
Message: <5aadb653$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.03.2018 um 22:32 schrieb Kenneth:

> I was actually referring to a typical (or old-school?) LOW-dynamic-range image,
> for the sky sphere(s). Plus a single light_source in the scene to mimic the Sun,

If only the sun is overexposed, that's ok; for realism, use the sky
sphere as-is, plus a classic light source to model the portion of the
sun that exceeds the image's dynamic range.

The sky sphere will be picked up by radiosity and reflections, while the
classic light source sun will be picked up by classic diffuse and
highlights.

Radiosity and diffuse are mutually balanced automatically (if you don't
tamper with radiosity brightness ;)); reflections and highlights must be
mutually balanced manually, which is tricky in 3.7 and earlier.

> And using a low-resolution image for the *radiosity* sky is a useful idea in
> either scenario. Other than saving memory, though, I'm wondering if a low-rez
> blurry image takes less time-- or fewer computations-- when POV-Ray processes
> the radiosity light.... instead of using a higher-rez or more 'detailed' image.

It generally allows you to get away with a lower number of samples, as
small bright light sources like the sun get spread out over a wider
region and are therefore easier to hit with fewer rays.