POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Omni-directional Stereo Content Server Time
19 Mar 2024 10:00:59 EDT (-0400)
  Omni-directional Stereo Content (Message 1 to 10 of 54)
From: Clodo
Subject: Omni-directional Stereo Content
Date: 28 Feb 2016 18:20:01
Message: <web.56d38071f91c97bb4e8811590@news.povray.org>
There are a lot of VR Headset now in the market.
Oculus Rift, GearVR, HTC Vive, Google cardboard etc.
Also YouTube support 360 panoramic.

I understand there are a lot of options about rendering with other raytracing
software, but i don't find any information about Povray.

The projection model it's called ODS and is full explained in this Google doc:
https://developers.google.com/cardboard/jump/rendering-ods-content.pdf

I'm trying to render an ODS, 360 3D shot with Povray.
There are a function inside the above doc that return the viewing ray for a
given pixel in raytracing,
but i don't understand how to use it in Povray.

Any advice? Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

> There are a lot of VR Headset now in the market.
> Oculus Rift, GearVR, HTC Vive, Google cardboard etc.
> Also YouTube support 360 panoramic.
>
> I understand there are a lot of options about rendering with other raytracing
> software, but i don't find any information about Povray.
>
> The projection model it's called ODS and is full explained in this Google doc:
> https://developers.google.com/cardboard/jump/rendering-ods-content.pdf
>
> I'm trying to render an ODS, 360 3D shot with Povray.
> There are a function inside the above doc that return the viewing ray for a
> given pixel in raytracing,
> but i don't understand how to use it in Povray.
>
> Any advice? Thanks.

Hi,

I've never been too interested in the VR/3D realm, but I gave the Google
article a quick read and given nobody else has jumped in with
suggestions, I'll offer up a couple potential methods.

1) In POV-Ray 3.7 a mesh camera was introduced which allows pixel by
pixel control of the camera rays cast using POV-Ray's internal
mesh/mesh2 objects. Triangle faces are used to set each camera ray's
origin and direction. So, it should be that by defining the proper
camera triangle mesh object you can render the ODS images directly in
POV-Ray. I'm not aware of anyone having already worked out appropriate
ODS meshes, but perhaps someone has. It might be worth a bit of
"googling" before spending time implementing any ODS-function to
ODS-camera-mesh code.

2) A hybrid POV-Ray/image processing solution. Using multiple renders of
single pixel columns with spherical cameras, it should be we can walk
these left/right in-built spherical cameras around the IPD circle in
column-steps always rendering the camera's at-center column. All of the
column images would then need to be assembled via some external image
processing into the final ODS image.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

> There are a lot of VR Headset now in the market.
> Oculus Rift, GearVR, HTC Vive, Google cardboard etc.
> Also YouTube support 360 panoramic.
>
> I understand there are a lot of options about rendering with other raytracing
> software, but i don't find any information about Povray.
>
> The projection model it's called ODS and is full explained in this Google doc:
> https://developers.google.com/cardboard/jump/rendering-ods-content.pdf
>
> I'm trying to render an ODS, 360 3D shot with Povray.
> There are a function inside the above doc that return the viewing ray for a
> given pixel in raytracing,
> but i don't understand how to use it in Povray.

   You can't use that with POV-Ray as a user, but have to patch POV-Ray
sources for it. BTW, seems Paul Bourke already did it (of course!),
albeit with version 3.6:

http://paulbourke.net/stereographics/povcameras/

   Regards,

--
jaime

Post a reply to this message

Le 29/02/2016 17:09, Jaime Vives Piqueres a écrit :
> El 29/02/16 a las 00:19, Clodo escribió:
>> There are a lot of VR Headset now in the market.
>> Oculus Rift, GearVR, HTC Vive, Google cardboard etc.
>> Also YouTube support 360 panoramic.
>>
>> I understand there are a lot of options about rendering with other
>> raytracing
>> software, but i don't find any information about Povray.
>>
>> The projection model it's called ODS and is full explained in this
>> Google doc:
>> https://developers.google.com/cardboard/jump/rendering-ods-content.pdf
>>
>> I'm trying to render an ODS, 360 3D shot with Povray.
>> There are a function inside the above doc that return the viewing ray
>> for a
>> given pixel in raytracing,
>> but i don't understand how to use it in Povray.
>
>   You can't use that with POV-Ray as a user, but have to patch POV-Ray
> sources for it. BTW, seems Paul Bourke already did it (of course!),
> albeit with version 3.6:
>
> http://paulbourke.net/stereographics/povcameras/

Oh, nice to see I'm not alone working on fancy camera.

And the doc is pretty nice with the approach of povray : from the
picture's pixel to the starting point and direction of the ray, exactly
what is needed by the code of any camera.

Might end up as a new camera soon in my patched povray :-)

Post a reply to this message

On 1/03/2016 03:09, Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:
>    You can't use that with POV-Ray as a user, but have to patch POV-Ray
> sources for it.

As Bill mentioned, unless I'm missing something it ought to be
possible with the mesh camera, though it would need an appropriate
mesh. Perhaps a macro?

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

El 29/02/16 a las 19:31, Chris Cason escribió:
> On 1/03/2016 03:09, Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:
>> You can't use that with POV-Ray as a user, but have to patch
>> POV-Ray sources for it.
>
> As Bill mentioned, unless I'm missing something it ought to be
> possible with the mesh camera, though it would need an appropriate
> mesh. Perhaps a macro?

   Yes, it should be possible using meshcam, but I still have not figured
out what shape would make the trick...

--
jaime

Post a reply to this message