POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Omni-directional Stereo Content : Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content Server Time
19 Apr 2024 22:12:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 2 Mar 2016 09:58:19
Message: <56d6ff8b$1@news.povray.org>

https://plus.google.com/photos/105046045700292924505/albums/5805569422944253569/5805569421458305522?pid=580556942145830
> 5522&oid=105046045700292924505
>
> Google docs: https://developers.google.com/streetview/spherical-metadata
>
>  From what i understand, it's the same identical equirectangular projection
> without the Stereo.
>
> If anyone of you can produce a simple Povray rendering (for example a simple
> checked plane), i can test it by altering jpeg meta-data and testing it also in
> VR headsets (i own Oculus DK2 and soon HTC Vive and Oculus CV1) to report
> feedback.
>
> Another stuff that can be interesting: modern VR headset need to works with 2K
> display at 90fps.
> It's currently difficult to create this level of ODS with the current
> photographics tecnology, generally limited to 30fps that cause health ill in VR.
> Can be very interesting, and maybe popular for Povray, to render some nice shot
> or video with Povray and share it. There are lack of this kind of content out
> there.
> This is what i'm interested to do, render some of my POV-ray project in these
> extreme resolution to share it to VR headset owner.

To state clearly what you probably know - for non-stereo images -
POV-Ray has the spherical built in camera which others have used for
streetview-ish like VR environments for 15+ years (POV-Ray 3.5?). Early
stuff was aimed at QuickTime VR - if I remember.

See the spherical.pov scene shipped with povray.

Bill P.