POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Omni-directional Stereo Content : Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content Server Time
24 Apr 2024 19:13:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 2 Mar 2016 08:57:13
Message: <56d6f139$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/02/2016 03:37 AM, Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:

>    I think I've figured it out... it would consist on a spherical mesh of
> triangles, where each face would be rotated so that the normal will
> point on the direction of the tangent. That would lead to a bunch of
> disconnected triangles, which could be used with type 3 and smooth. Now
> I have to figure out how to construct such a mesh... maybe using wings3d
> would be better than trying to figure out the maths to do it with a macro.
>
> --
> jaime

Hi Jamie,

Entirely possible I've not myself yet understood what is needed, but I
think the mesh will be more of a circle of circles of triangles where
the latter circles are each split between the left and right "eye-rays"
assigned to the top and bottom portions of the final image - in opposite
horizontal directions.

Meaning, the final arrangement of all triangles would - if the circles
of triangles had some >0 diameter(1) - look more like a cylinder from afar.

Guess I find myself thinking about this, if I can find a round tuit,
maybe I too will try to come up with an actual mesh.

Bill P.

(1) - Given how loose the ODS approximation looks to be and that the eye
has some diameter, perhaps this is actually OK?