POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Omni-directional Stereo Content : Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content Server Time
19 Apr 2024 21:36:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 29 Feb 2016 09:26:24
Message: <56d45510$1@news.povray.org>
On 02/28/2016 06:19 PM, Clodo wrote:
> There are a lot of VR Headset now in the market.
> Oculus Rift, GearVR, HTC Vive, Google cardboard etc.
> Also YouTube support 360 panoramic.
>
> I understand there are a lot of options about rendering with other raytracing
> software, but i don't find any information about Povray.
>
> The projection model it's called ODS and is full explained in this Google doc:
> https://developers.google.com/cardboard/jump/rendering-ods-content.pdf
>
> I'm trying to render an ODS, 360 3D shot with Povray.
> There are a function inside the above doc that return the viewing ray for a
> given pixel in raytracing,
> but i don't understand how to use it in Povray.
>
> Any advice? Thanks.

Hi,

I've never been too interested in the VR/3D realm, but I gave the Google
article a quick read and given nobody else has jumped in with
suggestions, I'll offer up a couple potential methods.

1) In POV-Ray 3.7 a mesh camera was introduced which allows pixel by
pixel control of the camera rays cast using POV-Ray's internal
mesh/mesh2 objects. Triangle faces are used to set each camera ray's
origin and direction. So, it should be that by defining the proper
camera triangle mesh object you can render the ODS images directly in
POV-Ray. I'm not aware of anyone having already worked out appropriate
ODS meshes, but perhaps someone has. It might be worth a bit of
"googling" before spending time implementing any ODS-function to
ODS-camera-mesh code.

2) A hybrid POV-Ray/image processing solution. Using multiple renders of
single pixel columns with spherical cameras, it should be we can walk
these left/right in-built spherical cameras around the IPD circle in
column-steps always rendering the camera's at-center column. All of the
column images would then need to be assembled via some external image
processing into the final ODS image.

Bill P.