POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : fabric simulation Server Time
5 Jul 2024 10:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  fabric simulation (Message 44 to 53 of 53)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: fabric simulation
Date: 21 Nov 2015 14:25:01
Message: <5650c50d$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/21/2015 6:56 PM, clipka wrote:
> What is really needed is an effort from the POV-Ray team to either (a)
> add export functionality to POV-Ray, so that scenes can be exported in
> popular geometry formats that can then be imported into Blender, or (b)
> decouple POV-Ray's parser code from the main program, making it a
> library that can be used in other projects, like a Blender import module.
>
> Some people have also tried solution (c), which is programming a parser
> for POV-Ray files from scratch, but with so many quirks in POV-Ray's
> language it is virtually unavoidable that it behaves differently from
> the original, so I think that's not a viable approach in the long run.
>

> The POV-Ray team does have (b) comparatively high on the agenda, but
> we're not there yet, and in contrast to your work there is nothing fancy
> we can show right now, as it is all about modifying the underlying
> architecture.

Very interesting to read. :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: LanuHum
Date: 21 Nov 2015 15:05:01
Message: <web.5650cdf1d1f9e5ad7a3e03fe0@news.povray.org>
> Am 21.11.2015 um 15:14 schrieb LanuHum:
>
> > You want to have the adequate editor for Povray?
> > My experience shows that you aren't interested in it!
> > Blender? Yes, has problems, but Povray has no that it would be impossible to
> > present lists.
> > My notes allow to connect any material created by you, but to you isn't present
> > to this interest. What do you want? Blender can be built as the Python module.
> > Having desire it is possible to write own graphical representation, using import
> > bpy(import blender)
>
> You're doing a good job trying to bridge the gap between Blender and
> POV-Ray, but there's one thing you can't accomplish, which Anthony
> expressed discontent about:
>
> Blender can't import POV-Ray geometry.
>
> As a matter of fact, in a strict sense, Blender can't /import/ anything
> from POV-Ray at all. It is possible to paste POV-Ray code snippets into
> Blender scenes, but they remain POV-Ray code snippets; Blender has no
> idea what they mean, and can't do anything with them except feed them
> back to POV-Ray.
>
> Because Blender can't import POV-Ray geometry, its cloth simulation
> can't be used for existing POV-Ray scenes.
>
> It is not your fault that this is still impossible; as a matter of fact,
> it is fundamentally impossible (well, actually just highly infeasible)
> to solve this issue at the Blender side.
>
> What is really needed is an effort from the POV-Ray team to either (a)
> add export functionality to POV-Ray, so that scenes can be exported in
> popular geometry formats that can then be imported into Blender, or (b)
> decouple POV-Ray's parser code from the main program, making it a
> library that can be used in other projects, like a Blender import module.
>
> Some people have also tried solution (c), which is programming a parser
> for POV-Ray files from scratch, but with so many quirks in POV-Ray's
> language it is virtually unavoidable that it behaves differently from
> the original, so I think that's not a viable approach in the long run.
>

> The POV-Ray team does have (b) comparatively high on the agenda, but
> we're not there yet, and in contrast to your work there is nothing fancy
> we can show right now, as it is all about modifying the underlying
> architecture.

Well. Russians speak: "We will dance from an oven"
We will forget the Blender.
There are means displaying Povray scene? OpenGL can draw Povray scene?
Or you created an image which present simulators isn't able to display?

Post a reply to this message

> Well. Russians speak: "We will dance from an oven"

Not as bloody as dancing on swords. (Scottish dance) ;-)

> We will forget the Blender.
> There are means displaying Povray scene? OpenGL can draw Povray scene?

Have a look at Blender3d. It uses OpenGL to display wireframe or shaded
views.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> Well. Russians speak: "We will dance from an oven"

I have not the slightest idea what that saying means.

> We will forget the Blender.
> There are means displaying Povray scene? OpenGL can draw Povray scene?

Aside from POV-Ray itself, there are none that I know of. Some software,
such as Bishop3D, can handle a subset of POV-Ray's syntax, but not all
of it.

Post a reply to this message