POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : fabric simulation : Re: fabric simulation Server Time
8 Jul 2024 11:11:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fabric simulation
From: Stephen
Date: 21 Nov 2015 17:25:34
Message: <5650ef5e$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/21/2015 10:06 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 21.11.2015 um 20:19 schrieb Stephen:
>> On 11/21/2015 2:14 PM, LanuHum wrote:
>>> You want to have the adequate editor for Povray?
>>> My experience shows that you aren't interested in it!
>>
>> Some history:
>>
>> For a lot of people, PovRay was a "scripting" program and using a GUI
>> was a cheat.
>> Note. I am not saying that Clipka thinks that. But it is how PovRay grew
>> up.
>
> It all depends on whether you view the creation of a scene as an
> intellectual challenge or just a means to an end.

That, I think, is the crux of the matter.

> POV-Ray with its extensive scripting language can cater to both, but in
> the former case using GUI modelling software must indeed be considered
> cheating,

That is certainly how the "pure coders" came across.

while in the latter case it must be considered one of the most
> rational things to do.

Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before
breakfast. ;-)

I prefer using a GUI so that I can visualise the scene. The intellectual
challenge comes from trying to shoehorn the correct code into the modeller.

> I consider both approaches valid in and of themselves.

So do I and I must say that, IIRC, you have never said "RTFM" which was
a favourite rejoinder to newbies when I started using PovRay.

--

Regards
     Stephen