POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Online documentation suggestion Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:16:43 EDT (-0400)
  Online documentation suggestion (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Anthony D  Baye
Subject: Online documentation suggestion
Date: 30 Oct 2012 01:15:08
Message: <web.508f61467b2d298ed97ee2b90@news.povray.org>
Would it be possible to have the stylesheet limit the width of the text blocks,
so that they don't stretch to the full screen width when the browser is
maximized?

I ask because it is difficult for the eye to maintain track on where the next
line starts when tracking that far.  At least, for me it is - I tend to skip
over lines, or find myself back at the start of a line I just read.

I don't know who, if anybody, is currently maintaining this, but I would find it
easier to read the documentation if the width of the p-tags had a max width
specified.  And maybe align: Justify.

I don't mean to offend anybody.

Regards,
A.D.B

Post a reply to this message

On 10/30/2012 01:12 AM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
> Would it be possible to have the stylesheet limit the width of the text blocks,
> so that they don't stretch to the full screen width when the browser is
> maximized?

that would not allow to maintain the overall layout. I only had only so
much real estate given the size of some of the images and in some places
image panels and the menu to the left. when all is said and done the
entire sha-bang in enclosed in a div that allows some resizing but
maintains the integrity of the layout.

> I ask because it is difficult for the eye to maintain track on where the next
> line starts when tracking that far.  At least, for me it is - I tend to skip
> over lines, or find myself back at the start of a line I just read.
>
> I don't know who, if anybody, is currently maintaining this, but I would find it
> easier to read the documentation if the width of the p-tags had a max width
> specified.  And maybe align: Justify.

I already have the style attributes that govern text alignment:

body {
   font-size: 8pt;
   color: #000000;
   text-align: justify;
   background-color: white;
   margin-top: 8px;
}

.TableStyle01 {
   color: #000000;
   background-color: #f0f4ff;
   border: 1px solid;
   margin-left: 20pt;
   margin-right: 20pt;
   text-align: justify;
   -moz-border-radius: 4px;
   -webkit-border-radius: 4px;
   border-radius: 4px;
}

p {
   text-align: justify;
}

li {
   text-align: justify;
}

> I don't mean to offend anybody.

LOL ... ya didn't

Post a reply to this message

James Holsenback <nom### [at] nonecom> wrote:
> On 10/30/2012 01:12 AM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
> > Would it be possible to have the stylesheet limit the width of the text blocks,
> > so that they don't stretch to the full screen width when the browser is
> > maximized?
>
> that would not allow to maintain the overall layout. I only had only so
> much real estate given the size of some of the images and in some places
> image panels and the menu to the left. when all is said and done the
> entire sha-bang in enclosed in a div that allows some resizing but
> maintains the integrity of the layout.
>

> > I ask because it is difficult for the eye to maintain track on where the next
> > line starts when tracking that far.  At least, for me it is - I tend to skip
> > over lines, or find myself back at the start of a line I just read.
> >
> > I don't know who, if anybody, is currently maintaining this, but I would find it
> > easier to read the documentation if the width of the p-tags had a max width
> > specified.  And maybe align: Justify.
>
> I already have the style attributes that govern text alignment:
>
> body {
>    font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
>    font-size: 8pt;
>    color: #000000;
>    text-align: justify;
>    background-color: white;
>    margin-top: 8px;
> }
>
> .TableStyle01 {
>    color: #000000;
>    background-color: #f0f4ff;
>    border: 1px solid;
>    margin-left: 20pt;
>    margin-right: 20pt;
>    font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
>    text-align: justify;
>    -moz-border-radius: 4px;
>    -webkit-border-radius: 4px;
>    border-radius: 4px;
> }
>
> p {
>    text-align: justify;
> }
>
> li {
>    text-align: justify;
> }
>

> > I don't mean to offend anybody.
>
> LOL ... ya didn't

couldn't you add to the rule for p like so:

p {
    text-align: justify;
    max-width: 600px;
}

or something similar?  I think max-width is css 3.0, but iirc it is supported by
the most popular browsers.

if you don't want all of your p tags to use the same rule, you could subclass
it.

p .docText {
    max-width: 600px;
}

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 13:38:36 -0400, Anthony D. Baye wrote:

> couldn't you add to the rule for p like so:

You might take a look at stylish (it's a browser plugin) - it'll let you
create custom CSS that meets your needs. :)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> couldn't you add to the rule for p like so:
>
> p {
>     text-align: justify;
>     max-width: 600px;
> }
>
> or something similar?  I think max-width is css 3.0, but iirc it is
> supported by the most popular browsers.

max-width is in CSS 2 (<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/propidx.html>), and it is
not supported by IE 6, I believe (but who cares?)

> if you don't want all of your p tags to use the same rule, you could
> subclass it.
>
> p .docText {
>     max-width: 600px;
> }

Just remove the space before the dot: p.docText, otherwise it applies to all
anything with a docText class *inside* a <p> tag, but not to the <p> tag
itself.

I would suggest specifying the max-width in relative units, like ems,
instead, 50-60 em looks like a sensible size.

--
light_source{9+9*x,1}camera{orthographic look_at(1-y)/4angle 30location
9/4-z*4}light_source{-9*z,1}union{box{.9-z.1+x clipped_by{plane{2+y-4*x

Post a reply to this message