POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Most up to date landscape generator ? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  Most up to date landscape generator ? (Message 8 to 17 of 17)
From: Mr
Subject: Re: Most up to date landscape generator ?
Date: 16 Feb 2010 09:00:01
Message: <web.4b7aa47193a56a007c139aae0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> "Mr" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht
> > Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:
>
> >> Tom trees is arguably one of the best tree maker you can find. Great to
> >> crate individual trees.
> >
> > By "arguably[...]individual trees" do you mean that they will be too heavy
> > for
> > big forests? and should be complemented with another software for
> > background
> > trees? any idea which one?
>
> TomTree makes trees out of blobs. If you want to use meshes, POVTree is what
> you need. It uses TomTree for generating the trees and exports to POV-Ray
> either as blobs or as meshes. However, Gena Obukov's site (the creator of
> POVTree) seems to have disappeared and I wonder if the application is still
> available....
>
> You might be interested to try out also World Machine:
> http://www.world-machine.com/index.html and GeoControl
> http://www.geocontrol2.com/e_index.htm
>
> Thomas
Thanks Alain, I won't search too much for that (im)possibile feature and rather
will focus on use of Mesh then. which of course leaves Ivy generator as the best
candidate for generating plants growing over tree meshes. I still need to find
the best free tree mesh generator.

Yes, Thomas, I have tried PovTree, but the only version (1.5) I could find (on
the internet archive)
http://web.archive.org/web/20051101175949/propro.ru/go/Wshop/povtree/povtree.html
....has greyed out export possibilities. That's too bad because it would have
alowed me to generate a dummy mesh for the purpose of growing Ivy and a higher
res blob based tree for rendering.
And as to the other two programs, their free versions have limitations. Thanks
anyway.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mr
Date: 16 Feb 2010 13:15:01
Message: <web.4b7ae04693a56a007c139aae0@news.povray.org>
This program seems fun to work with:

http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~jslayton/wilbur.html

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 17 Feb 2010 04:16:40
Message: <4b7bb3f8$1@news.povray.org>

> Yes, Thomas, I have tried PovTree, but the only version (1.5) I could find
> (on
> the internet archive)
> http://web.archive.org/web/20051101175949/propro.ru/go/Wshop/povtree/povtree.html
> ....has greyed out export possibilities. That's too bad because it would
> have
> alowed me to generate a dummy mesh for the purpose of growing Ivy and a
> higher
> res blob based tree for rendering.

That is strange, because my copy of 1.5b (1) saves to blobs and (2) exports
to POV-Ray mesh (mesh2 and obj are greyed out; they were supposed to be
further implementations by Gena, which he never found time apparently to
complete).

> And as to the other two programs, their free versions have limitations.
> Thanks
> anyway.

Limitations indeed in maximum size. However, you can overcome that
limitation by using the height_fields as functions and applying a little
warp to them. Trick offered to us by Kirk Andrews IIRC. Example:
#declare F_HF =
function {
  pigment {
    image_map {
      png "My_hf_map.png"
      map_type 0
      interpolate 2
    }
    warp {repeat x}
    warp {repeat y}
    scale 50
    warp {
      turbulence 0.2
      octaves 1 //[6]
      lambda 1  //[2]
      omega 0.2 //[0.5]
    }
    scale 1/50
  }
}

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 17 Feb 2010 04:19:37
Message: <4b7bb4a9$1@news.povray.org>
Try this too: http://www.cyberfunks.de/page/terrabrush/index.htm

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Mr
Date: 17 Feb 2010 10:10:01
Message: <web.4b7c05c593a56a0067c1a48a0@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the trick and the insight with Povtree too Thomas.

Date: 18 Feb 2010 04:05:01
Message: <web.4b7d025193a56a00e61a34030@news.povray.org>
Believe it or not, Bryce 5.5 is free for personal use.

Download Bryce 5.5 from
http://download.cnet.com/3001-20_4-10974201.html?spi=2987e909e3f22001f48af8b82e4c9147

And register for the key to run Bryce 5.5 @
http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/software/bryce/-/breg55?

Hope this helps !

"Mr" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Hello, to all, I'm browsing and searching for free solutions to generate
> landscapes, preferably easy to use. I currently found:
> -Genesis Toolkit
> http://www.schrammel.org/genesis.php?l=en
> -tierra project
> http://www.schrammel.org/genesis.php?l=en
>

> For the trees:
> -Tom Tree
> http://www.aust-manufaktur.de/austt.html
>

> Is there anything else really uefull?

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 18 Feb 2010 04:35:39
Message: <4b7d09eb$1@news.povray.org>
> Believe it or not, Bryce 5.5 is free for personal use.

Correct. I forgot about this one. I use it from time to time.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Mr
Date: 18 Feb 2010 05:00:01
Message: <web.4b7d0e8e93a56a0067c1a48a0@news.povray.org>
"Mr" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Thanks for the trick and the insight with Povtree too Thomas.

And also thanks a lot for terrabrush, though I don't speak german, I managed to
find "eroieren"! It got me motivated enough to try and figure out the rest as
soon  as I get the time because that's what I was searching for. Before I spend
time translating from a language I don't know, is there any french, english or
italian version anywhere? Is this free for commercial use?
I did also ask the developer. But I still ask here in case the languages would
make us unable to exchange.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mr
Date: 18 Feb 2010 05:35:00
Message: <web.4b7d170793a56a0067c1a48a0@news.povray.org>
Awfully sorry, I did get carried away without reading the Terrabrush Readme now
I found translations exist, which is very nice!

And about Brice, I knew, but
-I thought the links were long dead and didn't even bother to search for them,
So thanks! We're beginning to gather some precious ressource!

-I still want to find some solution that is as free as possible, so I asked to
the developer of terrabrush about commercial use and am waiting for his answer,
Yet I guess he has the choice to give only indiviual answers like they do for
beta programs, but if I can I'll update this thread.
As usual this Povray community is very responsive. (comming from a Blender user,
this is a big compliment :p )

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 19 Feb 2010 03:20:51
Message: <4b7e49e3$1@news.povray.org>
> As usual this Povray community is very responsive. (comming from a Blender
> user,
> this is a big compliment :p )

<grin>
We do our best to help our customers as well as we can, and with a smile.
:-)

Thomas