POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Most up to date landscape generator ? : Re: Most up to date landscape generator ? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:31:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most up to date landscape generator ?
From: Mr
Date: 16 Feb 2010 09:00:01
Message: <web.4b7aa47193a56a007c139aae0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> "Mr" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht
> > Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:
>
> >> Tom trees is arguably one of the best tree maker you can find. Great to
> >> crate individual trees.
> >
> > By "arguably[...]individual trees" do you mean that they will be too heavy
> > for
> > big forests? and should be complemented with another software for
> > background
> > trees? any idea which one?
>
> TomTree makes trees out of blobs. If you want to use meshes, POVTree is what
> you need. It uses TomTree for generating the trees and exports to POV-Ray
> either as blobs or as meshes. However, Gena Obukov's site (the creator of
> POVTree) seems to have disappeared and I wonder if the application is still
> available....
>
> You might be interested to try out also World Machine:
> http://www.world-machine.com/index.html and GeoControl
> http://www.geocontrol2.com/e_index.htm
>
> Thomas
Thanks Alain, I won't search too much for that (im)possibile feature and rather
will focus on use of Mesh then. which of course leaves Ivy generator as the best
candidate for generating plants growing over tree meshes. I still need to find
the best free tree mesh generator.

Yes, Thomas, I have tried PovTree, but the only version (1.5) I could find (on
the internet archive)
http://web.archive.org/web/20051101175949/propro.ru/go/Wshop/povtree/povtree.html
....has greyed out export possibilities. That's too bad because it would have
alowed me to generate a dummy mesh for the purpose of growing Ivy and a higher
res blob based tree for rendering.
And as to the other two programs, their free versions have limitations. Thanks
anyway.