POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering colors outside of RGB space Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:13:47 EDT (-0400)
  Rendering colors outside of RGB space (Message 2 to 11 of 21)
<<< Previous 1 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Rendering colors outside of RGB space
Date: 8 Apr 2009 08:25:00
Message: <web.49dc9329469723b6f3b4f0@news.povray.org>
"epidot" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Is there anyway to render a colour that is outside the normal RGB space?
>
> I have a situation where I have some colour data that falls outside the RGB
> gamut. It would be very good to get your input on this

(A) No, it's not possible. POV simply operates in RGB space.

(B) Then again, that's "almost not true": POV's rendering engine actually knows
nothing about color space - it just operates on a 3-band spectral space, which
happens to be typically used as R, G and B respectively. Well, it *almost*
knows nothing about it: There are a few operations that deal with the overall
brightness, which is computed from the three spectral bands, weighting them in
a way custom-tailored to RGB.

(C) IIUC colors outside the gamut can be achieved by "boosting" some of the RGB
components beyond 100% (effectively enlarging the "gamut triangle" in all
directions). AFAIK POV is perfectly fine operating with such high numbers
(though there are a few places where you can deliberately clip colors), and
even writes them to suitable file formats, such as HDR. So yes, you can render
those - you just can't properly display them on a computer screen for obvious
reasons.

Post a reply to this message

>> Is there anyway to render a colour that is outside the normal RGB space?
>>
>> I have a situation where I have some colour data that falls outside the RGB
>> gamut. It would be very good to get your input on this
>
> (C) IIUC colors outside the gamut can be achieved by "boosting" some of the RGB
> components beyond 100% (effectively enlarging the "gamut triangle" in all
> directions). AFAIK POV is perfectly fine operating with such high numbers
> (though there are a few places where you can deliberately clip colors), and
> even writes them to suitable file formats, such as HDR. So yes, you can render
> those - you just can't properly display them on a computer screen for obvious
> reasons.

Wrong. Out of gamut values are indicated by one or more RGB components
with *negative* values. It has nothing to do with HDR. And IIRC POV-Ray
does clip negative values - but it is a long time since I looked at the
source - so you might know better.

-Ive

Post a reply to this message